Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you remember... >

How do you remember...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you remember...

Old 04-03-2003, 06:09 PM

Default How do you remember...

How do you remember those who influenced you as a hunter? I' m not talking about Fred Bear, but do any of you carry anything with you while hunting, hunt a certain way, or hunt a marginal area just to remember someone special? My Dad is still around so I' ve never been faced with this but I do gun hunt with my Grandpas 50 year old 30-06.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How do you remember...

I hunt more with the guns that my grandfather gave me than any of the guns that I have purchased myself.

Winchester M70 in .270WIN.

Single shot .22lr he gave me when I turned 12, his first gun bought in 1941 for $7.50

.444 Marlin

And I use his possibles bag that he made when I go muzzleloader hunting

Every time I use my Winchester 12 gague I remember the first deer that I shot while hunting with him and my brother.

And when I start reloading heer soon I will be using most all of his reloading equipment that he passed down to me as well.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think i hunt the same way my uncle and brother hunt. but thats because they tout me to hunt. my dad doesnt hunt or my other brother or my sister. just some uncles aunts and cusins hunt. and one brother. other thn that i cant say that i hunt with anything else
Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 PM

My best friend' s father has introduced me to bowhunting. When i killed my first archery buck, he was so excited for me that he made me a necklace out of the antlers. Nine deer later, im still wearing the necklace everytime i settle into the stand.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Cardeer necklace is the the first thing that goes into
my pack and a prayer of thanks to be in the woods again!!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:49 PM

When I was 6 or 7 yrs old my grandfather took me to his cabin where we would hunt squirrels and rabbits, and go fishing in the farm ponds. He died when I was 8 yrs old.

I remember the good times we had at that cabin, so when I could afford it, I built one on the family farm. My son and I now use it to hunt out of and are building a lifetime of memories.

Several years ago my grandmother gave me my grandfathers sleeping bag. When staying at the cabin on hunting trips, I sleep under that bag to stay warm on cold winters nights.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:35 AM

I have a wrist band Compass that my father gave me 25 yrs ago and last year passed it down to my son!
I also have a knife that stays with me while hunting also from my father
AL
Old 04-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father was different. He hunted when I was little quite abit, and took me along small game hunting once. That was it. None of my other elders hunted. Maybe my influence game just from simply waiting for dad to get home from deer hunting to see if he was succesful or not. I recall being a proud kid when he was. But my dad NEVER took me. He later became too busy with making ends meat to have the time. Some of my friends were small game hunting, and it expanded from there. Mostly I' ve taught myself everything, and learned on my own. My first bow is a prime example of a learning experience. It was an old Stemmler I bought for $45, and it was a serious piece of crap, and didn' t fit me at all. I went to a pro shop for my next one. I see myself more as a roll model to my own children now. I started each out @ the age of 3yrs old with toy bows. Taken them with me into the woods many, many times. My oldest will be turkey hunting with me for real this May. Think I' m as excited about it as he is! Oh, and I' m also taking my Dad turkey hunting for his first time this May also. Maybe I' m his role model now too!!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only rifle that I will take in the woods is the 35 Rem. that my father passed on to me when he stopped hunting. He is always in my heart and mind.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

A tornado took away most of my old family keepsakes, but I still have my great grampa' s old Eclipse side by side 12 guage. It was worn out years ago and only someone with a death wish would try to fire it now, but I still get it out and clean and oil it before opening day of dove season each year. It' s one of my annual hunting rituals.