Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 so what's the deal?? >

so what's the deal??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

so what's the deal??

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: so what's the deal??

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I know in IL they require Slug guns or Muzzleloaders because they say High powered rifles are too dangerous in populated areas.

I'm pretty sure why rifles are not legal, or maybe I dreamed it[8D]

Dan
What's kind of weird is I can go out and shoot woodchucks and coyotes with a .338 lapua in IL. [8D]

Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM

so may be the outfitters and the DNR/ Game Comm. decided that it would be best to not have rifle hunting for deer b/c it would be safer... and it had nothing to do with allowing bucks to reach maturaty b/c a guy can't blast one at 400 yds with a bow/ shotgun??? Maybe?? Im just saying....
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Does OH have a rifle season?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Does OH have a rifle season?
I'm pretty sure they don't. I think I may have read somewhere that they have never had a rifle season. Granted that's a pretty strong statement with a pretty strong word, 'never',but I can't help but think I read that somewhere. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

South half of Minnesota Is Shotgun and ML only and the northern half Is pretty much any gun Including rifles. Southern Is much more open, the northern part Is much more wooded.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I REALLY wish that instead of AR's, Missouri would
a) move the gun season to after the rut
b) switch to bows, muzzleloaders, and shotguns
c) cut down on the number of doe tags
Question: Given that traditional management practices so heavily encouraged limited doe harvests and limitless buck harvests which in turn lead to greatly unbalanced herds in many areas, what benefits do you see coming from cutting down the number of deer tags?
Because they've been issuing unlimited doe tags in most of the counties I hunt, since I started hunting. I've seen a BIG change in deer numbers, and I'm not seeing as many big bucks. The Conservation department blames it on Blue Tongue, but I haven't seen any cases of that in the last 3 or 4 years here. I think Missouri hunters should get 1 BUCK tag, and one doe tag. So if you gun hunt also (or buy the firearms tags and bowhunt on them) that would mean you get 2 buck tags, and 2 doe tags. Right now, we don't have a buck tag. Just an any deer.
I also like Steven's idea of limiting the out of staters that come in and deer hunt.

P.S., everyone I've talked to about my reasoning on C, and actually hunts close to where I do, agrees with me. I know it's probably not the most traditional thing to do, but something's gotta change.

I'll add another post about my reasoning after I get out of the shower.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question: Given that traditional management practices so heavily encouraged limited doe harvests and limitless buck harvests which in turn lead to greatly unbalanced herds in many areas, what benefits do you see coming from cutting down the number of deer tags?
Because they've been issuing unlimited doe tags in most of the counties I hunt, since I started hunting. I've seen a BIG change in deer numbers, and I'm not seeing as many big bucks. The Conservation department blames it on Blue Tongue, but I haven't seen any cases of that in the last 3 or 4 years here. I think Missouri hunters should get 1 BUCK tag, and one doe tag. So if you gun hunt also (or buy the firearms tags and bowhunt on them) that would mean you get 2 buck tags, and 2 doe tags. Right now, we don't have a buck tag. Just an any deer.
I also like Steven's idea of limiting the out of staters that come in and deer hunt.

P.S., everyone I've talked to about my reasoning on C, and actually hunts close to where I do, agrees with me. I know it's probably not the most traditional thing to do, but something's gotta change.

Gotcha. Being unaware of the laws and regulations I thought perhaps you were saying that there should be more buck tags than doe tags which would, just as your seeing now, decrease herd numbers as the imbalanced herd would lead to bucks exhausting themselves due to the extended rut, poorer genetics and doe number sky rocketing to a point that habitat and food sources can become a major concern. thanks for the clarification
Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gotcha. Being unaware of the laws and regulations I thought perhaps you were saying that there should be more buck tags than doe tags which would, just as your seeing now, decrease herd numbers as the imbalanced herd would lead to bucks exhausting themselves due to the extended rut, poorer genetics and doe number sky rocketing to a point that habitat and food sources can become a major concern. thanks for the clarification

Hey, I try to make a point.
If you wanna see my whole reasoning for all of this, PM me. Because this is taking forever to write lol[&:]
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

EXACTLY!

a) kansas does this(and look at thier bucks)
b) illinois and iowa do this ( and look at their bucks)
c) well im not sure what state does this lol

i would also like to add, no one should be able to come to missouri and just buy over the counter tags, this is one of the biggest reasons why missouri isnt a consistent big buck producer
Yap, thats one thingI wish KY. would do, stop over the counter tag sale's[:@].
Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

EXACTLY!

a) kansas does this(and look at thier bucks)
b) illinois and iowa do this ( and look at their bucks)
c) well im not sure what state does this lol

i would also like to add, no one should be able to come to missouri and just buy over the counter tags, this is one of the biggest reasons why missouri isnt a consistent big buck producer
Yap, thats one thingI wish KY. would do, stop over the counter tag sale's[:@].
Lol I was down there a couple years ago gun hunting