HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - so what's the deal??
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
wahoohunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: so what's the deal??

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I REALLY wish that instead of AR's, Missouri would
a) move the gun season to after the rut
b) switch to bows, muzzleloaders, and shotguns
c) cut down on the number of doe tags
Question: Given that traditional management practices so heavily encouraged limited doe harvests and limitless buck harvests which in turn lead to greatly unbalanced herds in many areas, what benefits do you see coming from cutting down the number of deer tags?
Because they've been issuing unlimited doe tags in most of the counties I hunt, since I started hunting. I've seen a BIG change in deer numbers, and I'm not seeing as many big bucks. The Conservation department blames it on Blue Tongue, but I haven't seen any cases of that in the last 3 or 4 years here. I think Missouri hunters should get 1 BUCK tag, and one doe tag. So if you gun hunt also (or buy the firearms tags and bowhunt on them) that would mean you get 2 buck tags, and 2 doe tags. Right now, we don't have a buck tag. Just an any deer.
I also like Steven's idea of limiting the out of staters that come in and deer hunt.

P.S., everyone I've talked to about my reasoning on C, and actually hunts close to where I do, agrees with me. I know it's probably not the most traditional thing to do, but something's gotta change.

I'll add another post about my reasoning after I get out of the shower.

Gotcha. Being unaware of the laws and regulations I thought perhaps you were saying that there should be more buck tags than doe tags which would, just as your seeing now, decrease herd numbers as the imbalanced herd would lead to bucks exhausting themselves due to the extended rut, poorer genetics and doe number sky rocketing to a point that habitat and food sources can become a major concern. thanks for the clarification