Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you achieve your goals? >

Did you achieve your goals?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you achieve your goals?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did you achieve your goals?

Not even close. I had a bright spot getting a buck in Ohio. After that it was terrible. My hunting spots held some of the bestbucks that I've probably had to hunt and I didn't come anywhere close to seeing them, let alone getting a chance at one.

My overall deer sightings were terrible, & I only killed one doe during the season. Gun seasons start in a few days & I'll be out trying to knock off does and take a nice buck if given the opportunity.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not yet. The PA buck was a nice buck andexperience but killing a PA buck was not my main goal.

Still working at my main goal.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Site Buck Guru

[blockquote]quote:

This means that my percentage for success goes down drastically as I wait for that buck to come by me on my postage stamp size properties.
[/blockquote]

Yet they always do, Greg. You have to admit you have some incredible grounds. I'm not taking away anything from you or the deer you've taken.....but they DO always come by (based on your previous kills).
I'm not sure if you knew this, but I huntthis spot with a friend of mine. He's still hunting. He's had 2 chances at decent bucks while I've had 13. He has 7 stands set up, I have 3. He's taken a 135", 130" and a 118" as well as an antlerless (buck that shed). Out of 10 deer taken (6 by me), 8/10 were taken from my stands.

It's not entirely about the grounds.

Greg you're also "passing" on 138" deer. I can't imagine.
I didn't always do this. But if you want to get bigger bucks, you have to pass on the smaller ones.

In wis and Ill, your average sized mature buck is usually in the 130" range. I'm fortunate to live here.

I've got 3 more weeks....and I haven't caved. I haven't had too many chances, though.
It sounds like you have a good handle on things. You're right, it is tough holding out for something that may never happen. A plus to this is that the things you learn are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I consider this year to be a GIANT leaping stone in my education on whitetail bucks. And even greater in my philosophical approach to hunting.

I cannot fathom what next season might bring.. but I cannot wait for it. And I haven't felt like that in a long time.

2008 was pure energy and enjoyment.
It doesn't get much better than this.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

My season so far has been a disappointment In my eye's. One mature buck sighting (3.5 year old 125") and I let him by. Other then that a bunch of little 1.5's and two 2.5's. I've put some good time Into hunting one particular buck this year. Where he's at Is beyond me. Hardly no scrapes, rubs In my woods. Kind of hard to hunt sign that Isn't there. Between hardly any decent buck sightings and bow trouble with my recurve It's been quite stressful the last month. I'm hoping the 2nd rut does something for me. I don't necessarily have to shoot one, seeing some good bucks would sure give me hope for next year. Otherwise this will go down as one of the more frustrating years for myself hunting whitetails In a long time.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

My goal for 08was to get my first deer ever. I managed to accomplish it on Oct 13 with a small 10 pointer.I always thought that my first one would be via rifle, the fact that I gothim with my bow is a dream come true.Before the season started I had dreams of taking a few deer, but once the season started and the sightings were few and far between reality set in that I would be happy with one. I am still hoping to take down a doe before the season is over or possibly another buck but I have only 2 weeks left and only a few days to hunt. Either way this year has been a success and I hope to take the lessons from this year and use them to reach my future goals.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

It's not entirely about the grounds.
I didn't say it was. I hoped it woudn't betaken that way.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but I huntthis spot with a friend of mine. He's still hunting. He's had 2 chances at decent bucks while I've had 13. He has 7 stands set up, I have 3. He's taken a 135", 130" and a 118" as well as an antlerless (buck that shed). Out of 10 deer taken (6 by me), 8/10 were taken from my stands.
That's a lot of stand in that size woodlot. I suppose you don't have to worry about certain winds (with that many stands). Does your friend hold out for anything? I'm just wondering if he's not shooting the first decent buck he sees??? I'm really just asking. Those (your)numbers are impressive.

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. You're right, it is tough holding out for something that may never happen. A plus to this is that the things you learn are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck
Honest to God....I've kind of found an inner peace with it all....lol. I have fewer expectations now than I did a month ago. I'm not "mailing it in", but if I said I wasn't more relaxed now than ever.....I'd be lying.

It'll be what it'll be.

I appreciate the encouragement. Your numbers make me have hope!

I consider this year to be a GIANT leaping stone in my education on whitetail bucks. And even greater in my philosophical approach to hunting.
Duke....I concur with the first part (bolded). I hope to achieve the second part sometime during the off-season. I was rattled this season in this area.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you Schultzy. Bout the only goal i have met is that i have put in more time in the stand than ever.
My sign this year has been nonexsitant. hardly any scrapes rubs, trails or anything other than some 1.5 trying to be the mack daddy. Since Sept 15 there has only been 9 days i have been in the woods. but i still have a month and half and i aint quiting.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My overall goal has been to kill a mature buck. The season is not over until the 1st week of January so I will still give it my best. My buddy and I hunted within 150 yards of each other yesterday morning and he had 2 large bucks walk past him at 60 yards at 0930 so I am still optomistic that I am hunting so far away from other hunters, that the bucks feel comfortable every once in awhile to show themselves...I hope.

My other goal was to have a plan for most every hunt I make, and so far it has paid off. I listed my top ten stand sights for the month of November and was able to hunt 7 of those sights, as 3 were closed off completely on the military base. I saw 14 different bucks, had 2 mature bucks within range, and arrowed a decent buck (2.5 year old). So all my scouting in the off-season paid dividends, but so far I have not been able to close the deal.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Does your friend hold out for anything? I'm just wondering if he's not shooting the first decent buck he sees??? I'm really just asking. Those (your)numbers are impressive.
This guy wants to shoot P&Y bucks. I want him to also. But when the going gets tough his goals change in direct proportion!

His biggest problem is that he sets his stands and brushes out lanes that make him comfortable instead of the deer.

Quick Reply: Did you achieve your goals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.