Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This is how I skin my deer >

This is how I skin my deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is how I skin my deer

Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: This is how I skin my deer

I domine similar, except with a golfball tied into the hide. I tie a rope around the golfball and reverse slowly. It usually does it in one pull,, butits nice to have someone standing close by with a skinning knife for the parsta that start to tear the meat.

Very easy and fast
Old 11-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: piney

Have you ever tried it from the hind quarters?, or are there problems that way?
It should work but I think you would have to skin both hinds down and tie them together.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I domine similar, except with a golfball tied into the hide. I tie a rope around the golfball and reverse slowly. It usually does it in one pull,, butits nice to have someone standing close by with a skinning knife for the parsta that start to tear the meat.

Very easy and fast
I knew there was a good use for golf balls

I also take my time pulling it off. I don't just take off and rip it off. I usually stop and ease the hide over the front shoulders and also cut thru the tail when I get there.
I like it because I have to do all the same prep work anyway and by the time its hung up it's already skinned. I also like the fact that I can adjust the deer up or down for easy cleaning. I cut everything off with my knife, I never use a saw.
Also if the deer is a bit froze the hide can be damn near impossible to pull off by hand.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: piney

Have you ever tried it from the hind quarters?, or are there problems that way?
It should work but I think you would have to skin both hinds down and tie them together.
Plus the deer would be hanging upside down so you wouldn't be able to remove the hind quarters.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post ole' buddy.

I got you email and thanks for the pics.
Good luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I do it that way too. My dad and I processed 5 deer in one day that way. Would've taken that long just to skin them otherwise.

Make sure the deer is not frozen. We pulled one in half due to that. For some reason it was hilarious when it happened.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Hey guys. If you shoot a nice buck and you are not going to mount it. Why not take it to your local taxidermist and ask if he wants to buythe cape. I have a friend who is one of the best taxi's in central Ohio and he buys all the capes I can get to him. For these artists to buy these capes from out of state or God forbid, Canada, it can cost them hundreds of dollarsplus import fees and state taxes. Maybe they would cut you a break on the next pig you bring in.It saves them time and money plus it puts money back inyour pocket for hunting. just a thought for you all