Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many people on here have taken deer other big game illegally before. >

How many people on here have taken deer other big game illegally before.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many people on here have taken deer other big game illegally before.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Spike

Default How many people on here have taken deer other big game illegally before.

I just read the poaching post and saw that 67% percent of the people who responded said that poaching is never justifiable. Usually when I hear the word poacher I think of somebody driving around in a truck spotlighting deer or somebody going out and just shooting multiple animals without any regard for them. However that got me to thinking and there are a lot of different ways of poaching or taking game illegally that get over looked by a lot of hunters and I would be willing to bet that nearly half of the people on this site including myself have taken game illegally or been apart of a group hunting illegally.

I for one have always tried to keep within the law while hunting, but on one occasion while bowhunting in the evening on family ground I was late getting to one of our stands. After climbing up in the stand I noticed a pile of corn about 15 yards in front of it that one of my relatives must have put there and in our state it is illegal to hunt over bait. With me being up in the stand and as late as it was I didn't want to move to another stand so I stayed and ended up shooting a doe about half of an hour later.

I am just curious to see how many hunters on here would admit to breaking some laws while hunting. Below are many different ways that I know of or that I have heard of other hunters breaking the laws.

Not tagging a deer so that you can continue to hunt and you know that where you are hunting that there is no way you will get caught.
Tagging a deer with somebody elses tag(wife, brother, dad etc).
Killing a deer in one state and driving across state lines and tagging it in another in order to continue hunting that state.
Being part of a deer camp where the first young deer killed doesn't get tagged but becomes camp meat and all of the evidence is eaten at camp.
Hunting over bait where it is illegal.
Hunting with dogs where it is illegal.
Tresspassing.
Going out west with a group elk hunting and only a few buy the Bull tags while the rest buy the cheaper cow tags with the intent of anybody in the group being able to use the Bull tags if they get lucky enough to shoot a bull.
And I am sure we could come up with many other ways that some people do not follow the laws on but are overlooked many hunters and would not consider it as being poaching.

So I am just curious to see how many will admit to having broken or as I think many people see it bent some laws while hunting. Please be honest.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many people on here have taken deer other big game illegally before.

Hmmmmm..................... I wonder why no one is responding.[8D]
Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Default RE: How many people on here have taken deer other big game illegally before.

ORIGINAL: bcb10

After climbing up in the stand I noticed a pile of corn about 15 yards in front of it that one of my relatives must have put there and in our state it is illegal to hunt over bait. With me being up in the stand and as late as it was I didn't want to move to another stand so I stayed and ended up shooting a doe about half of an hour later.
How convenient.[&:][:-]
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

One time I shot a nice buck with my shotgun then dragged it back to my truck and took it to go register as a bowkill. Those idiots at the registration station didn't know their *** from a hole in the ground cusone guy asked me, wow you must have a pretty powerful bow huh, I've never seen an arrow wound like this before.

EDIT: btw- I have some ocean front property in AZ for cheap. PM me if interested.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Only 2 posts and look what they are about!? Things that make you go....HMMMMMMM
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

btw- I have some ocean front property in AZ for cheap. PM me if interested.
You mean CA finally broke away from the continent?!!?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry
You mean CA finally broke away from the continent?!!?
Fault lines aint no joke.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

tresspassing for sure... on a big companies property. i would nevergoon anyones personalland or hunting ground. i do believe that is morally wrongand nota good man law policy to trespass or misuse another mans land.a big company that owns a ton of land and uses it for nothing... yeah ive done it before. i know thats kind of contradictory but oh well...yes i understood that itwas illegal, yes i understood that being illegal meant it waswrong. did i hurt anyone, or violate any animal laws. no. i was just being a curious teenager i suppose.
Derek