Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ancient warrior?? >

Ancient warrior??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ancient warrior??

Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Ancient warrior??

No doubt that's an old deer. That face has seen better days for sure! I wouldn't be surprised to find out he indeed is 8 1/2. Judging by the second pic, it sure looks like that buck lost weight, his neck & chestlooks to have excess skin on it. Was it loose/flabby like a rapid weight loss? It looks like it is.

Nice buck again Greg, an old timer no doubt.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

Sometimes envy will make the funniest sounds coming out of a persons mouth.
Im really no envious I would have never shot that deer. Hes too old to end up as meat on someones plate. Whether you like it or not I DO NOT agree with that bow kill.. Too old meats gonna taste like crap. And hes old Hes at least 10-12 years old. And he deserved far better in my opinion..Now thats my opinion but even here in PA thats a monster. But still would have let him live.
LMAO!!

Guy's,.............I thought I'd heard everything, but that takes the cake!

What was I thinking? I shot an old 10 pointer with double drop tines. I should have let him go.

Dying of old age (being ripped to shreds by a pack of coyotes) would have been much better for him! []

I'll try not to let that happen again.

I sure hope that my teeth can saw through all that burger I had made! [:-]
Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Dominant Buck

1. Am I reading you correctly that you think this deer was "once" a 185" deer?

2. Are you using the jawbone method of aging to come up with an accurate age?

He's NO DOUBT a mature buck. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the other two things, correctly.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. Am I reading you correctly that you think this deer was "once" a 185" deer?

2. Are you using the jawbone method of aging to come up with an accurate age?

He's NO DOUBT a mature buck. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the other two things, correctly.

1. 10-4, that's what I'm thinking.

2. That, along with skull plate thickness, head size and shape, foot wear, bone structure and a bunch of other things.

You're getting it.

Accurate age = my best guesstimate after conferring with a couple of other people.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

If you're gonna use the meat, though- who cares...Obviously you dont have any plans on throwing it out, right ?
I don't hunt and kill things that I'm not going to eat. The meat from this deer is cut, wrapped and in my freezer.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

Greg- Even without seeing it considering your deer-hunting savvy, I trust your tooth-wear comparison between this buck and a known 8 y/o jaw. The difference in tooth-wear between a 5 y/o jaw and a 8 y/o is staggering although pin-pointing the age seems tobecomes tougher in those 6+ y/o bucks in the limited research I've done on the subject. I'm anxious to see the pics of the jawbone of your deer.
I believe I've read statistics that less than 2% of all bucks make it to 5 1/2 y/o in the wild. Using that data a buck making it to 8 1/2 would bea small fraction of less than 1%. You have truly scored a very raretrophy and a beautiful buck at that. I'd personally take more pride in the harvest this year than the same buck with a slightly larger rack last year based on maturity alone.

And please guys, no need to further feed the troll. He is obviously the brightest shade of green right now.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Greg- As an afterthought, perhaps this deer is worhty of the cementum(?)age analysis. All you need is to correctly remove one of the front incisiors and submit it for a ring count to determine a positively accurate age. Just a thought if you are really curious.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck Greg, and congradulations. Ancient warrior?....absolutely. To kill a buck of that stature and age with a bow and arrowis an amazing accomplishment. Kudos.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Greg- As an afterthought, perhaps this deer is worhty of the cementum(?)age analysis. All you need is to correctly remove one of the front incisiors and submit it for a ring count to determine a positively accurate age. Just a thought if you are really curious.
Perhaps you could PM me with the details?

The front incisorsare something that I've just started looking at in the last couple of years for aging deer.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.