Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ancient warrior?? >

Ancient warrior??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ancient warrior??

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Ancient warrior??

Guy's,
I got my antlers and jaw bone back tonight and my suspicions may have been confirmed. I saw this buck last year from my stand at the end of October. Back then I guestimated him to be 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 and to score around 180". Before I even recovered him this year I was telling my brother that I thought he was bigger last year. When my brother asked me what I thought he'd score this year, I guessed him at 163. Well, I nailed it right on the head! [:-](See official score card). I noticed that he seemed to be going down hill.

I have the jaw bones from 18 mature bucks that I have shot and aged them. After comparing them to the buck I got last year which I aged at 6 1/2, I believe that this one may be 8 1/2!! I plan on taking it over to my buddy who has taken deer this old and older and comparing with his jaw bones. Once I get them cleaned up a bit, I'll post pics of them (next week).

Another thing to note about this buck is that he had a huge, deepgash almost from eye to eye. If you look hard, you can see the line on his forehead.His right eye was almost swollen shut and infected. If that isn't bad enough, when my Taxi boned out the jaw, he found that it was broken!!! This buck had lost a lot of weight but I thought it was from rutting. It may have been because his stomach was full of corn when I dressed him out. He still weighed 201 lbs., but his back had that boney ridge runner look to it. I wonder if he would have made it through the winter!!??

What do you think?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ancient warrior??

Old warrior is right. You can see that in his old face. I bet he was feeling his age. The buck didn't look to good either.J/K cant wait to see the teeth picks.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

He certainly has the old rugged look. By the bone mass he carries out to the ends of his beams and the mass of his tines I would certainly haveguessed him to be no younger than five.I'd be very interested in seeing a pic of his jawbone. Please don't think I'm questioning your findings for a minute but just that you don't get to see a 7+ y/o buck every day and I've been trying to hone up on the tooth wear aging thing myself.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your suspicions are correct then he is more then2X as old as the biggest buck i have ever see.

Speaking of, you mentioned you saw him last year and estimated 180"...how big do you think he was in his prime (or do you think that was his prime?)?. And is he the biggest buck you have seen from stand?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM

You shot grandpa, that's for sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

My honest first thought when I saw that buck's picture the other daywas "WOW, that may be the oldest nastiest looking buck I've ever seen."[:-]
Sounds like the perfect animal to take as I couldn't imagine him making it through the winter....1/2 blind, infected,broken jaw,worn down etc.

A full life and a fitting end for an old warrior that's for sure, congrats Greg!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder if he would have made it through the winter!!??
I doubt It.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Greg, great buck. He sure does look old!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
New Sheriff

sooo....

all the gushing and glowing about how GregH is "da man" and most accomplished bowhunter ever to grace this place is disproven by the man himself. I mean the dude shot adeer that was blind andso old it had to have lost all sense of smell and sound, with one hoof already in the grave. Hell Greg, you did this buck a favor. We'll call it a mercy killing.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is one old brute for sure and I missed the other post so I am saying congrats on an awesome buck here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.