Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So two of my nephews... >

So two of my nephews...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So two of my nephews...

Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default So two of my nephews...

... went to Illinois to bow hunt. they left last Thursday and return tomorrow. This is the second time they've been to this place. They have both seen the biggest deer they ever saw and haven't releasedan arrow in 2 years. Kind of like me in Ohio. The first morning of my first hunt there I saw BuckZilla. I passed a bunch of bucks for two years waiting for another chance. This year I shot in self defense at a nice deer, but not Buckzilla. They saw some nice bucks and passed on some, but haven't gotten a shot they wanted. One is a very accomplished bowhunter, the other I call a parttime bowhunter(he doesn't work at it). Anyway, so there they are in the Mecca of Mega Bucks. I guess what I'm saying, it isn't always as easy as it sounds. They've seen them but can't get on them. It's always a bush, a location or a wrong side of the field deal. LOL Better luck next time nephews. At least they tried. Greener grass on the other side of the fence is a tough thing to eat.[:'(][8D] I got them both in to bowhunting and ruined their life. LOL
Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So two of my nephews...

I guess what I'm saying, it isn't always as easy as it sounds. They've seen them but can't get on them. It's always a bush, a location or a wrong side of the field deal. LOL Better luck next time nephews. At least they tried. Greener grass on the other side of the fence is a tough thing to eat.
Very well put David!! I'm Impressed!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I got them both in to bowhunting and ruined their life. LOL
LOL! I'm sure their wives thank you very much...Uncle David

Maybe third time is a charm for them...next season! I do agree with you...it ain't always as easy as it seems. But it is an incredible thing to huntwhere the big ones live. That makes all the difference, and makes many folkshold out for what they know is there...somewhere,in hopes that he just might stroll by. I went last year...on a DIY hunt, in IL. I saw 4 P&Y bucks in one week....exactly 2 more than I've seen in my entire 22yrs of bowhunting in VA & WV. I also passed on deer bigger than I have shot here....in hopes of getting a shot at mr big. It didn't work out for me last year. I will be going back next year for sure, I guess we'll see.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

lmao. thats a funny way of looking at it.

I think the accomplished guys who can get it done year after year give off the impression that it is easy just from their success. Like you said, even if you have your ducks in a row, there are still 1000 things that can go wrong.

You should join them on their trip next year and show em how it's done!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Thats bowhunting for you.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have an Uncle David that was influential in getting me into hunting. He didn't bow hunt at the time but he does now...I've always been greatful for that influence.

Anyway, so there they are in the Mecca of Mega Bucks. I guess what I'm saying, it isn't always as easy as it sounds.
That statement is so true and can cut both ways. Without question The playing field across our great country is not a level one as far as opportunities go. But to put good bucks down consistently you still have to know what your doing; or else be born with a golden horseshoe hidden where the sun don't shine.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess this goes for all of the guys who were smarting off in a certain post a couple of days ago about how they could shoot deer that this person had shot if they could hunt WI. and IL. Sorry fella's.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 AM

Yep, Illinois is no guarantee. I've spent 4 weeks out there over 4 years and have killed two 120 class bucks. Never really saw much over that. It's still much better hunting than whatI have access to here at home and each year I atleast had a borderline shooter in bowrange.

That's all you can hope for, a legitimate opportunity. It still takes a tremendous amount of luck for it all to come together.