Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 nephews want to hunt. need help. >

nephews want to hunt. need help.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

nephews want to hunt. need help.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Default nephews want to hunt. need help.

my nephews are 14year old twins. I don't have children of my own so I need some advise. My wife and I went to her brothers for easter and the twins asked me to look at the bow they made. I showed them mine a few months ago. they made this bow from a small branch and used the straightest twigs they could find for arrows. it worked really good. I was very proud of them. Anyway.They asked me about this comng hunting seasonand all of the thingsI had planned for it. After talikng to them for a while they asked me to take them hunting. ThatsAWESOME!! I want to get them each their own bow and teach them how to shoot and some otherthings during the off season. My question is what bow would be good for each of them? they areon the light side of the scale as far as their weight but they are strong. Any advice and input would be very appreciated(?) . Please help. I think this is a very good way for us tobond.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nephews want to hunt. need help.

My little cousin (9), got a Mathews Genesis...it is really nice. It really depends on how much you want to spend on them. The genesis is a really nice bow, you should give it a look.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would take them to a GOOD bowshop and see what youth sized bows they have...find bows that fit them well and have a bit of extra draw legnth to goto as they grow...i dont know much about youth bows so i cant help there...lots of knowledgable guys here though that can help with specifics...but going to a good bowshop is always the best bet...get them both to test shoot some youth sized bows, measure both their draw legnths..figure out what weight they can draw comfortably and all that and pick bows that they are comfortable with....

best of luck!!! that would be pretty exciting...im only 21 but im getting to the point that getting people into hunting excites me as much as being alone and serious does...trying to line up a youth turkey hunt this year...i cant wait to see the looks on whoevers face i take out when they hear a bird gobble..
Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i would take them to a GOOD bowshop and see what youth sized bows they have...find bows that fit them well and have a bit of extra draw legnth to goto as they grow...i dont know much about youth bows so i cant help there...lots of knowledgable guys here though that can help with specifics...but going to a good bowshop is always the best bet...get them both to test shoot some youth sized bows, measure both their draw legnths..figure out what weight they can draw comfortably and all that and pick bows that they are comfortable with....

best of luck!!! that would be pretty exciting...im only 21 but im getting to the point that getting people into hunting excites me as much as being alone and serious does...trying to line up a youth turkey hunt this year...i cant wait to see the looks on whoevers face i take out when they hear a bird gobble..
when i was 14 (a year ago) i was pulling back 55 pounds EASILY, i was pulling back around 45 when i was 12, so i dont think that anything below 50 should be necisarry, so they dont really need a youth bow. now im 15, pulling back 60 pounds, easily, and im not that big of a kid, 5'8" 140, i do work out a lot though.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start them out light. Let them pull a 40lb bow back and see how it feels to them, go lighter if you have to. You should be able to tell if its to heavy for them. To many pounds equals allot of bad habits and bad form. When I started out shooting compound at 11 years old, pulling back 40lbs was a piece of cake. Reason being was I was pulling recurves back before that since I was 3 years old. My muscles were use to it. It doesn't matter how good of shape your in. I had buddies in high school that were 6'5" 200lbs benching 300lbs and couldn't pull a 40 lb bow back. These are all muscles we don't use much besides shooting a bow. There are some good bows out there, try and stay easy on the bank account being your not sure these kids will keep doing this. Spending more money doesn't necessarily mean a better bow. It can be spendy if you let it. Your a good man for doing this. I wish you luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Start them out light. Let them pull a 40lb bow back and see how it feels to them, go lighter if you have to. You should be able to tell if its to heavy for them. To many pounds equals allot of bad habits and bad form. When I started out shooting compound at 11 years old, pulling back 40lbs was a piece of cake. Reason being was I was pulling recurves back before that since I was 3 years old. My muscles were use to it. It doesn't matter how good of shape your in. I had buddies in high school that were 6'5" 200lbs benching 300lbs and couldn't pull a 40 lb bow back. These are all muscles we don't use much besides shooting a bow. There are some good bows out there, try and stay easy on the bank account being your not sure these kids will keep doing this. Spending more money doesn't necessarily mean a better bow. It can be spendy if you let it. Your a good man for doing this. I wish you luck.
very true, i started shooting around 5 or 6, so i was used to it
Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fist I would like to say....you go for it....Before you think about whatto set them upwiththink about what they made you? A trad set-up...I really think thats cool...For starters thats a true sign you have something serious going...and not just a phase....I think these kids could start with traditional....however...get them into a 50 pound bow in the 200$+ range....Along the way I would have them toss some arrows out of a recurve or long bow to let them know the total spectrum....I think as the years go by the young-ins may miss the instinctive touch because we're such a modern society....just try to show them ALL of what bowhunting is...but bring them into the woods with wheels....or sticks....but they must feel an arrow off the knuckle...I strongly believe that....

Really cool post...reminds me of how I started...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take it from a guy who has a 14 year old and a 12 year that love to shoot, make sure you get them a bow with a good amount of adjustments to the DL. Otherwise, you will be buying them new bows every 6 months and I can tell you first hand, that starts draining the wallet really quick. I bought my oldest bow a new bow last June with a DL specific cam. He decided to grow from 5'9 to 6'3 between last June and December. Learn from my mistake, adjustable DL, adjustable DL, adjustable DL
Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or you could start him on a long bow or recurve and not have to worry about anything...[8D]
Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Well, up until about a week ago and I seen a post from MichiganWhitails74 stating they had 10 year minimum age I thought it was 12, my boy turned 12 and I bought him his first bow. I'm gonna teach him to start shooting it this summer and not waste any more time. We're hitting the woods this fall. If he don't like it then I have a back up.

Quick Reply: nephews want to hunt. need help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.