Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your chance to vote on my ineptness >

Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Your chance to vote on my ineptness

I was at dinner with my wife last night.....and a funny thought occurred. What's the record for amount of hunting in one season and not taking a buck?..lol

I may be on the verge of infamy!

So...here's your chance. Here are your choices:

1. Yes. Jeff willtag a buck this year
2. No. Jeff will nottag a buck this year.

So far in '08.....65 sits....likely 250+ hours on stand. I've got all this week and three days at Thanksgiving to hunt, coming up. I told Lisa last night that it's almost getting comical! It's certainly taken the "pressure" (internal) off the season.....and made me chuckle a bit, inside.

So .....can I set a new record of complete ineptness?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Wrong attitude Jeff, you could have killed "a" buck, but you have choosen not to (i.e. you have not settled). Getting the right buck takes both time and effort-I think you're realizing that. That being said, I wouldn't call you inept but rather selective-and damn good at it.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 AM

First off no vote from me. After 34 years of bow hunting I do not qualify my season as good or bad by whether I take a buck or not. As far as you being inept? That is for you to decide, you determine what makes your season successful.

If by the standard you seem to be placing I guess I am totally INEPT. 34 years of bow hunting and I have not taken a buck so far this year. Have let many walk that did not meet my standards. If I do not tag a buck this year, I am more than comfortable with that. You need to decide what you are comfortable with.

Dave
Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Wrong attitude Jeff, you could have killed "a" buck, but you have choosen not to (i.e. you have not settled). Getting the right buck takes both time and effort-I think you're realizing that. That being said, I wouldn't call you inept but rather selective-and damn good at it.
Will....southern....Please forgive me on my wording. It was meant as self-depricating (sp?) and a jab ONLY at me (which I'm fine with on both accounts!).

It's funny, though....

Josh (Gri22) has become a great resource and a friend to me from these forums. He and I were talking the other day....and he said he wanted to send me a book. It's called 'What a hunter brings home' - Steven Chapman.

Since I made that post a few minutes ago....I read the foreword to the book (thank you SO MUCH for sending it, Josh. It arrived RIGHT ON TIME). He(Mr. Chapman)has a way with words.....and they struck home SOLIDLY.

This post was made in jest. I've taken a LOT home with me this year (and in years past, afield).

I hope no one takes this postthe wrong way. It's simply poking fun at ME. Will....What I'll take away from your visit can't be measured by a harvest photo or a mount on the wall. I'm more grounded than this post reflects....and again...it's ALL in fun.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Positive thoughts Mr. GMMAT and I believe you will!!!

Just take in the beauty of the outdoors and relax, as there is no work pressures or phones on your stand.
Try not to over achieve, as I tend to do also. If you do, this only puts the pressure on you and hunting is for fun, right?
If it was meant to be, then it will happen, only god knows...
You should be confident in your off season scouting and that's why you show up, the rest is luck!

For me, this really makes me respect the guys that can score every year on big bucks in the DIY hunt styles.
As I believe they are mentally mature and stay focused on the end task at hand.
Tag soup does happen, which is nothing to be ashamed of and equates to more experience.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I wish that I could do 65 sits! In that respects, you are a king in my eyes!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Edcycl....eswan....

Ed you NAILED my sit, yesterday. It was the first sit in a LONG time where I harbored NO expectations. It was a really interesting sky....as the tail end of a front was coming through. Abslutely STUNNING to see. It was eerily "light"....even as I walked out in the dusk too dark to have shooting light, still. Surreal.

I relate my hunting (and archery in many respects) to my competitive golf days. I used to have a saying in golf....that I was at my best when I kept out of my own way. Letting your mind race ahead to the next shot....the next hole.....or thinking about a score.....is BAD NEWS to a golfer. it breeds bad things, mentally. I've been guilty of this in almost my ENTIRE season, hunting, this year. In golf...you HAVE to rely on your preparation and just "let it go" (your swing and your management strategy). I see hunting as no different.....I just haven't listened to myself.

The remainder of this season WILL see me staying out of my own way. I'm gonna have fun.....no pressure....and just let it happen.

Being competitive (even if only internally) is a solid trait. It can also breed the above.

Deep breath time.

Josh...the book is awesome. I can't thank you enough for the gesture OR for the timingin receiving it. Spot on. Thank you so much.

eswany....the amount of time I've been able to put into hunting this year has likely been a Godsend and a hinderance. I remember in years past looking forward with MUCH anticipation to each and every opportunity to go afield. I haven't done that, this year. It's almost been a "job". I may never get to hunt as much as I have this year in one season. AND....I don't think that's a "bad" thing.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Jeff you have set standards and are keeping them.

I on the other hand passed on a few small deer early in the season but then I guess panic set in and I settled. I'm not sorry but I do recognizea drawnbow can sometimes have no conscious..
Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll agree with some of our members above Jeff. Although I understand completely what your going through...

But not taking a whitetail buck in a season when you change your thought process about chasing whitetails is a stepping stone.. and more likely a leaping stone.

You will learn more (MUCH MORE) about who you are as a hunter and what it takes to hunt a particular animal in this season than any prior. And in doing so.. will eventually find your "curveball" so to speak. And watch how the deer will fall once you do.

Relax.. you will remember this season as your greatest and not as your worst.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

The remainder of this season WILL see me staying out of my own way. I'm gonna have fun.....no pressure....and just let it happen.
That is the attitude! It is easy to overthink the situation & the process on the whole (in both golf & hunting). I agree with you on many of your comments and have had similar feelings in the past. I have since grown to really enjoy my time alone in nature, regardless if I get a deer or not. I had this same revalation in golf when I realized that I was not enjoying it because I was not scoring as low as I wanted. From that moment on I have also grown to enjoy my time on the links and the entire experience, not just my score, and in return there have been times where I was shocked at my final score when I added it up AFTER the 18th hole. I look forward to reading your post that shares thissame feeling after you have takenthat Buck - because you know you will!

Quick Reply: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.