Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The public land ADVANTAGE

Old 03-05-2005, 06:57 AM

Default The public land ADVANTAGE

For about 3 years I hunted Management land locally with a longbow beings there are few public land bow hunters in Alabama. My uncle is President of the Trappers Association here and he changed the game drastically for me. I found a nice size, but not to big, white oak that was out of the way but not on any major deer trails and set up. The setup was, in the off season to take posthole diggers and make three large holes about 36” deep out at the edge of where the limbs stopped. Then take lime and fill each hole a third way up, next use cotton seed mill another third way up, and last use sulfur to top them off. The results are bigger, stronger, earlier falling, and a hole lot sweeter tasting acorns. Now the only problem is hiding your activities from other hunters and the new noticeable deer trails that will come. Tried, tested, and taxidermist approved.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:28 PM

Default RE: The public land ADVANTAGE

Public land isnt that great for and my dad, this past year we went up to Northen Michigan and were hunting on Public land as always and my dad left his ground blind chair in his spot and the next morning it was gone. Also I was hunting by my self and I had a bunch of drunk pull in about 50 yards down the road and just start yelling and screaming as if they dont want me hear. Some people can be real idiots, I need Private Land to hunt in peace.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would venture a bet that if you checked that would be illegal to do on public land i am sure it is on public land here in illinois
Old 03-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

IN Pa Public land stinks.I see over 40 hunters a day in the woods and hundreds in the tavern parking lots
Old 03-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Cottonseed meal isn't always available ,
but you can substitute silage , 1/2 part blood meal , or high nitrate finished compost . Bob d is right , most states frown on making changes to their properties . There's no law against doing it on private land that I know of .
Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM

hmmm...maybe ill try it.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 PM

It would be illegal in Maryland
Old 03-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I do all of my hunting on public land. the place I hunt in central Florida is 58 sq. miles. I don't park my truck until I don't see any other vehicles. Then I usually don't scout real serious until I'm 1'2 mile off the main road. I do pretty good like that. aerial maps help alot when hunting management areas. You may find an edge of a farm or a creek you didn't even know existed. I wish I had some private property to hunt on but until that time I'm doing my best in the management area.
Chuck