Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe Groups

Old 11-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Spike

Default Doe Groups

What's everyone's opinion on doe family and differing estrous periods? I've noticed this year on a piece of property that I hunt that the south end have been experiencing all of the early rutting activity but the does on the north end have seen very little buck pressure, at least during legal hours. Could this be due to the different families coming into estrous during different times?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Doe Groups

They will get their turn. You should be there when it happens.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ollie085

What's everyone's opinion on doe family and differing estrous periods? I've noticed this year on a piece of property that I hunt that the south end have been experiencing all of the early rutting activity but the does on the north end have seen very little buck pressure, at least during legal hours. Could this be due to the different families coming into estrous during different times?
I don't know, but it's an interesting concept. I'm open to ALL thoughts on why this was the most bizzar, non-existantrutting period, if that's what you call it, that I've EVER seen! I have spoken to other hunters who hunt the same public land that I do, and they are all saying the exact same thingthat I've been saying.What rut? I'm still in a state of disbelief.[&o]
Old 11-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

All the does don't come "in" at the same time. EAch is different according to age and such. Keep tabs on them, that's for sure.

Early in.........sadly, I think our PA season ended a few days to early .........as usual. All our neighboring state hunters are going to have fun next week. It has been slow, I hunted the last 2 1/2 days, and only saw one buck, and taht was tonite. And he was a bruiser. The last few days I've seen scraping activity heat up, the real chasing hasen't begun yet.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

All the does don't come "in" at the same time. EAch is different according to age and such. Keep tabs on them, that's for sure.

Early in.........sadly, I think our PA season ended a few days to early .........as usual. All our neighboring state hunters are going to have fun next week. It has been slow, I hunted the last 2 1/2 days, and only saw one buck, and taht was tonite. And he was a bruiser. The last few days I've seen scraping activity heat up, the real chasing hasen't begun yet.
I'm afraid I have to agree with you. You know what? I think I'll still have a good chance at a buck when rifle season opens because it's BOW ONLY where I hunt.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

They will get their turn. You should be there when it happens.
That's always my plan!!

Hope your having a Good season Greg!

Dan
Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Spike

Last year I hunted the same area I am in now, but between the shotgun seasons in the second half of November. There was a lot of movement, chasing, fighting, etc during that time period. That experience plus what I have seen so far is what is leading me to think about the estrous cycles of the doe groups.