Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

groups

Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default groups

is six arrows in a 10 inch group good at 20 yards?
is six arrows in a 4 inch group good at 10?
Im a new shooter second year goin to the deer stand with a bow and could use the help.

thank, alex
Old 08-04-2004, 08:34 PM

Default RE: groups

Not really, no. I wouldn't be happy with either grouping. I practiced at ten yards with my 20 yard pin until I could get all my arrows touching. I practiced until I had most of my arrows touching at 20 yards also. You want to be precise in this game. You don't want to have to wonder if your arrow is going to hit where you aim, or ten inches to the left of where you aim. That's just me personally, but I wouldn't be happy with that.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alex,
Honestly?

No.....it's not.

IMO I would call 'Good' shooting 1" at 10 yards, 2" at 20 yards and so on.
"GReat" shooting is better than that, "decent" shooting a little worse.
I would call your groups "Need some practice"

Seriously, work on good repeatable form, make sure everything on your bow fits and is tuned and maybe employ the help of a more experienced shooter.
Have fun stay with it and practice practice practice and the groups will tighten.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

at ten yards i can get 5 out of six touchin and the other one is out about 3 inchs.
At 20 most are within 4 are within 3 inches and the other to make the 10 inch margin. so......... i dont know about that?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

4" at 20 yards isn't great and I wouldn't shoot any farther, keep your max there. If your hitting a 10" circle at 20 yards, don't hunt at 20, you better move into 15 yards and get those groups down. Practice........know your max distance and stick to it!

GoodLuck!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM

Ok, because I like posting pictures here's a view of the groups I strive for, and the groups I'd be dissapointed with. I just stuck these in the target so you'd get the general idea, i didn't want to haul the target back and forth up and down the stairs to shoot them.

My idea of a good 10 yard grouping.

My idea of a bad 10 yard grouping.

My idea of a good 20 yard grouping.

And lastly my idea of a bad 20 yard grouping.

Those are the types of groups I like and the type I dislike. Call me a perfectionist, but I like knowing pretty much exactely where my arrow is going to hit. No guessing about it.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

at ten yards i can get 5 out of six touchin and the other one is out about 3 inchs.
Take that one that is out about 3" and set it aside and try that group again with the remaining 5. Check to see if you have an arrow problem or a shooting form problem.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:13 AM

Do what Dave Solgat just suggested. I was going to write the same thing. It sounds like you have bad arrow. Mark them and see if one consisitenly hits different than the others.

Dave
Old 08-05-2004, 09:25 AM

You have a lot to learn grasshopper !!

A friend of mine started shooting with us several years ago and probably was shooting about 7" groups at 20 yrds !! He didn't have a consistant anchor, his draw length was too long, and he was torquing the bow !

I taught him how to anchor , change his grip, and not punch his release !
After about 2 hours he was keeping them within a 4" circle at 20 ! My other friend put his bow in a press and shortened the draw length and made some small adjustments to his rest and sight ...........and he got down to about 2.5-3" groups within a week of shooting with us !

Anyway.......there is a lot to it ! You may want to go to a pro-shop and see if they can work with you and your set up !!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:28 AM

If you're shooting all but 1 or 2 good arrows out of a half dozen I'd number your arrows and see it it isn't just a flyer or two in the bunch. If it is you've found the issue. If it's not I would really concentrate on your form.

What type arrow are you shooting?
What weight arrows?
What bow?
What poundage?

Quick Reply: groups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.