Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My theory on the "slow/no" rut >

My theory on the "slow/no" rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My theory on the "slow/no" rut

Old 11-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My theory on the "slow/no" rut

This is what I think is happing in my area.

First SLP in MI use to get little to no pressure, but around the Mid 90's that change in MI. SLP now gets a full 60% of the hunting pressure. I think we are killing to many bucks for the area, I have seen more Button bucks than in the past.

Second being we do not kill enough does, the mature does are going to(finding them)the very few mature bucks to be breed. I have read a mature doe will do this, if so this explains the lack(0 for me) sightings.

This was the first year I did not go after does, I waited, never again. Next year I plan on taking out 3-5 before the rut. I am hunting for mature does only.

Another factor is I think does are coming to heat at all different times. There is no build up like I have seen before, but more like a steady drip.

BTW this is for my area, I know yours may be different.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My theory on the "slow/no" rut

That makes sense for my area. Everything with horns around here gets shot at. Especially during shotgun season, and not to mayn does are being harvested. The bucks are still nocturnal here, I have yet to see any antlers in rougly 20 sits. Just does and button bucks. I think i may jsut hang up my buck tag and take out some nannys. What age does a doe mature, from my understanding the yearling does go into heat later than an older doe. Is that right?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM

I agree with you, Gary. Way too many bucks killed in my area (SW LP)every year compared to does. There are so few 2.5 year olds around and 3.5+ buck sightings are pretty rare. We have averaged 10 does harvested the last 3 seasons but it doesn't seem to make a dent. We have scheduled our first annual Tyler Creek Co-Op meeting for Dec 6th in hopes to get other area hunters on board. I know a lot of yearling bucks will hit the ground this weekend compared to very few does. Maybe the hunters in our area can all come to an agreement to improve the deer hunting around us. I saw 14 different yearling bucks, 2 2.5s and 1 3.5 this year. That is not real uncommon but it seems like there are enough yearlings every year to equal more 2.5s the following year. They just never see their 2nd birthday.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

On our farm here in Illinois, we have done nuisance tags over the summer. This really balanced out the buck:doe ratio and also helped the farmer. Rutting action in years past seemed very intense. However this year it is has been dead with the exception of the past 2 days. High temps, moon phases, whatever you want to say...until yesterday and today there was next to no rutting action out at our place.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wel I'm in North central PA and so far the rut is nonexistant. Tomorrows the last day of archery. Upset? A little.[:@]