Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I must smell...

Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Default I must smell...

had my first look at a decent buck today at 4 pm...he was 20 yds behind the holly trees and I could see one side of his rack, he was rubbing a tree, I could tell he was at least an 8 pt and he had decent tine length but not a monster by any means...I was waiting for him to come in and all of a sudden he blew and took off. I didn't see a massive set of head gear so Im not that upset, it's happened before and will happen again...in fact it already has! An hour later, a small 6 pt comes in at 15 yds, he stopped dead in his tracks turned and got the hell out of there in a hurry..he didn't blow or run, but he got out of there....Im not sure if it was the buck bomb or my jacket this time...it was the only thing different than any the other hunt, this damn jacket...it sprayed but I guess it still smelled like something...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I must smell...

i read somewhere, dont ask where i cant recall, but i read that once a deer blows in an area, it emits some kinda scent or something that can last a decent amount of time(maybe a week? i dont know i thought it was a decent bit of time though) that alerts other deer that there was danger in the area...

not sure how true it is...but could be what got the 2nd deer outta there...

anyone know anything about that?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I must smell...

I've never heard scent is left whena deer blows but when a deer is spooked and stomps their foot they have a gland in their foot that leaves a "negative" scent on the ground.