Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot and a miss

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot and a miss

Well guys, this year was my first time bowhunting and my first time deer hunting. At about 9:10 am this BIG 6-point buck I have been wanting to take all week shows up out of no where about 50 yards away. So I am able to grunt him in to about 20 yards perfect broadside. Between the adrenalin and the 30 degree weather about 15 degree wind chill I was shaking so badly I shot right underneath him[:@]. However, he didn't see where it came from and only ran about 40 yards away and walked into the woods unphased by the whole thing. Needless to say I was really disappointed in myself and all the practice I put into my first season. I was just wondering if you guys think I might have another chance at him or not. Ever since saturday morning I can't help but keep replaying that moment in my mind and getting mad at myself for missing him!! Anything you guys can say to make me not feel as much of a failure would be awesome. Thanks for taking the time to read my screw up.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot and a miss

Dont get frustrated. Ive hunted whitetails since i was a kid, but this is also my first year going at it with a bow. I killeda doe in October, but I also missed a big fat doe. Shot right over her back, arrow going straight into a tree. These things happen. You gotta look at it this way. Everytime you step into the woods, you dont have to always come back with an animal, but always come back having gained knowledge/ learned from your mistakes. You will get another shot, maybe not at that buck though. you never know. Good luck though, be safe
Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain. Luckily for you, you missed. He very well may come back. I hit a nice 8pt. Friday afternoon. Hit low right across the brisket. Trailed spotty blood for hours Saturday and then no blood. I have been bummed all weekend. I did see him late this afternoon across the pasture. Seemed to be doing fine. Just hope infection doesn't set up.

The only good thing this weekend ........I was able to take a decent 6pt around noon. Wasn't out 40 minutes and he comes walking right to me.

Hang in there.......crap happens. I am sure there are several guys on here that can tell you much worse scenarios.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the encouragement. This upcoming weekend is opening weekend for gun here in michigan, however I do not like the idea of hunting with a gun unless I have to, so I may just bring my bow. Good thing is though that there are lots of people that hunt all around my property and only 3 that hunt on mine, so I am hoping that everyone else will push the deer to me and give me a shot at my 6-point again or a bigger buck. Also could anyone tell me what a deer looks like exactly when you hit it, like what it does, does its jump up, or just run normal but really fast. Any help would be awesome.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone that says they havent missed or taken a bad shot is probably lying. He'll be back. Even if its next year, he'll just be that much bigger.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Also could anyone tell me what a deer looks like exactly when you hit it, like what it does, does its jump up, or just run normal but really fast. Any help would be awesome.
It will most likely either kick like a mule (usually a vital hit) , drop its butt down and hunch up (usually a gut shot) or if you do like I did this year and spine one, it piles up right there and you have to shoot it again. At least that is my personal experience. As long as you dont spine it, it will beat feet out of there usually. Some run until they expire in mid stride, and some only run a little ways until they feel safe and tip over later.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Well guys, this year was my first time bowhunting and my first time deer hunting. At about 9:10 am this BIG 6-point buck I have been wanting to take all week shows up out of no where about 50 yards away. So I am able to grunt him in to about 20 yards perfect broadside. Between the adrenalin and the 30 degree weather about 15 degree wind chill I was shaking so badly I shot right underneath him[:@]. However, he didn't see where it came from and only ran about 40 yards away and walked into the woods unphased by the whole thing. Needless to say I was really disappointed in myself and all the practice I put into my first season. I was just wondering if you guys think I might have another chance at him or not. Ever since saturday morning I can't help but keep replaying that moment in my mind and getting mad at myself for missing him!! Anything you guys can say to make me not feel as much of a failure would be awesome. Thanks for taking the time to read my screw up.
Im in your boat mate, i missed mine as well.
Except my arrow skinned the belly.
I will get another chance on the 21 - 27
Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

The buck I shot at I am pretty sure I missed, but I have been worrying that I did hit him and there was no evidence of it. The arrow was perfectly fine, no blood on it or anything except at the very end of it near the nock was a single deer hair. When he ran off he looked like he was running weird, but stopped on the edge of the woods and walked into them. I tracked him for about 50-60 yards and saw no signs of blood but have been worrying that I hit him and it just didn't look like it.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: scooterdo75

Anyone that says they havent missed or taken a bad shot is probably lying. He'll be back. Even if its next year, he'll just be that much bigger.
I'll pipe up and be a smart alec here and say that I haven't ever missed a shot on a deer or made a bad shot on one while bowhunting.........................I have never shot at one with a bow yet!!!!!!!![8D]

(Sorry, I am in a good mood tonight.........LOL)