Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Suburban hunting..where are all the bucks? >

Suburban hunting..where are all the bucks?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suburban hunting..where are all the bucks?

Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suburban hunting..where are all the bucks?

I moved into my new home last January. I have about 50 yards of creek front, or a total of around a .25-.30 acre spot to bowhunt in my backyard. I know it sounds funny, but the entire woods funnels into my property, from a 200-300 yard wide bit to about 40 yards across at my creek. I hung a stand back there last year but never hunted it. I have regularly seen doe herds of 8-10 does walking around back there but have not seen but one decent buck, and that is once over the course of two years. And I am always driving or walking around my neighborhood, and do not see them. I am wondering, where are all the bucks? If noone is really hunting in my neighborhood, then we should have a good buck population right? Any of you have any experience hunting suburban bucks? Maybe I should hunt a couple of days on my stand. I just don't want to waste my time....any thoughts or tips are appreciated. The reason I am asking is because Monday is supposed to be a great day to hunt, but I have obligations that will only allow me to hunt from 10a-3pm in my backyard....do you think I should give it a shot? Thanks all.

If you look between my house on the right and my neighbors on the left, there is a creek that runs right between us, with steep hills that come up on both sides, creating a natural funnel. Should I rattle to pull bucks in, or should I just be patient? I have seen deer out and about eating at noon on some days....just no bucks.

Here is a link to my property topo, If you look between my house on the right and my neighbors on the left, there is a creek that runs right between us, with steep hills that come up on both sides, creating a natural funnel. I routinely see does eating in my neighbors backyard below me on the right. The majority of the buck sign(rubs and scrapes) I have found is about 80-100 yards to my the northwest of my house. I have seen deer out and about eating at noon on some days....just no bucks. :

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=8113+Counsel or+Rd.,+Manassas,+VA&sll=38.668624,-77.452798&sspn=0.016754,0.027637&ie=UTF8&a mp;ll=38.668574

Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Suburban hunting..where are all the bucks?

Brett:

It took me a couple years to realize something......bucks don't like to hang out where a lot of does frequent. It goes against their reclusive nature to risk being easily spotted (with a lot of other deer).

I don't think the rut's "on" yet. Nothing I've seen here tells me that it is. I'm not seeing the daytime buck movement I would need to see to think otherwise......yet.

I'd try that stand first thing in the AM's for the first couple sits. I think that'll be your best bet (based on my experiences with similar settings, here).

Good luck....and feel free to PM me your number. I'd love to discuss strategy with you sometime. I have a spot JUST like that (6-7 acre woodlot ....which is where both my 8 pointers on my wall came from.....on AM hunts).
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jeff, thanks. I am beginning to realize that about large bucks as well---it has only taken me over 15 years I am a slow learner. Anyways, I hear ya. I saw one large body buck last year with impressive main beams just 50 yards from my house trailing a doe about this time last year. I never saw him again. When I say funnel in my backyard, I really mean it...it is quite unique.

I am not seeing the rut either. Some light hearted chasing is all last week. The big boys have to get on their feet sometime in the next week...and I will be waiting. PM sent.

I know those deer bed to the northwest of my house, and they stage up only about 100 yards to the northwest before exiting out and feeding. We have some big does, you know the kind that are VERY alert. So I know that there are bucks, I just do not see them.

PM sent.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have obligations that will only allow me to hunt from 10a-3pm in my backyard....do you think I should give it a shot? Thanks all.
Yes, I would. Big bucks may not be chasing hard, but I promise you they are cruising. When they are interested in the does, you will find them crusing through areas like that at any time of the day.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a very similar situation. Its about 10 acres total and backs onto railway tracks.I killed a nice1.5 year old 6 point yesterday with around 5 minutes left of shooting light. The whole suburban hunting can be a fairly tricky game. He came through with his nose on the ground not paying attention to anything else. In Southern Ontario i think its just getting started.