Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's? >

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bruce that's good stuff.

Can you shoot me a PM with all of the details?

And thanks.
I made a mistake with the numbers. I have a 300gr tip (100gr brass insert with a 200gr BH). The arrow I shot last year was the same arrow but with a 125gr tip for a total of 530gr arrow weight. You would get a 505gr arrow with the rage. That should still do the job and if it didn't my offer still holds about the arrows . PM is on the way.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 PM

120 gr addition of weight means a slight loss of KE? I'd like to chrono my bow and see that. If I'm wrong I have no issues admitting that, either. Promise.
No, 120 grn additional weight means a slight GAIN in KE. Chrono it and prove it to yourself, nothing can refute what your own eyes see.

What's the heaviest arrow I can shoot that's properly spined (if I shoot a 100gr. head)? Also....what's the effect on spine? FOC?
sky is the limit on heavy arrows.....

I shoot a 316IBO Vectrix at 29" 70#, with a Easton FMJ .340 spine 481 grn arrow tipped with 125 grn head (when using rage i just add a 25 grn insert extension to bump them to 125). I only have a peep and dloop on string. If my chrono numbers are anywhere near the 277 number OT2 gave me, Im spitting over 82 ft/lbs KE. My arrows spine PERFECTLY with this match up.
this is 10 ft/lbs more than what my identical setup achieves on a 360 grn arrow according to OT2.

my arrows arent even considered heavy by alot either, just moderate.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

What's the "standard" drop in FPS per 10gr. addition in arrow weight?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Im not sure...id think it would depend on the initial IBO or stored energy to begin with. an 82nd airborne likely wont shed speed as quickly over arrow weight as a youth 250 ibo setup would...atleast I would think not?

Ill try and chrono my setup with two or three different arrow weights to know for sure this next week or two.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just upped my arrow from 605 to 705 gr in OT2 and the speed dropped to 202FPS (about 20fps difference) and the KE went to 63.57.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

What's the heaviest arrow I can shoot that's properly spined (if I shoot a 100gr. head)? Also....what's the effect on spine? FOC?
I shoot a 605gr arrow with a .300 spine(pretty stiff) and a 200gr tip (for you, 100gr brass insert, 100gr rage). It shoots out of a 67# commander at 223FPS with a 23.5%FOC at a KE of 66.16.

You could probably get something similar out of your bow since it is faster. If that arrow with a rage on it didn't passthru I'll pay for the arrows you made like that .
Almost exact same setup as me.

You boys can keep your KE. It's about FOC and momentum

As for what Jeff is talking about with the Rage, the "what if" theory. Just simple logic, a deer shot at an extreme angle(qrt away is the worst IMO) the rage can and will be altered.

I have shot 1 deer with the rage, complete pass through.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: annika3

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: annika3

Exactly, and I dont think anyone knows the answer to this, whether they claim to or not.
Thanks. I've been saying this all along.

if you arent getting pass thrus into the dirt, assuming this is better, then Id look to a smaller Diameter COC head than a 2" rage, if you are happy with having bigger gashes and the arrow remaining in deer, stay with the devastating rage.
Hence my fact finding mission. And....the reason I purchased some fixed heads, today to test.
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm going to state the obvious.

A BH, once it is sticking out the other side, is a passthrough. The bh has done its damage and will do no more damage once it exits the deer and sticks in the dirt. And with a 2" Rage, the arrow will not plug up the hole because the hole is much bigger than the arrow. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but "6" into the dirt" is overrated. I believe we all want to put the animal down quick and to inflict the most damage possibleto put the animal down quick and that is what th Rage does. Bowhunting is not a game of "my arrow sticks in the ground 6" after a passthrough".
Are you that guy affiliated with Rage?

Actually, you will have a decrease in blood loss if the arrow is still in the deer. How could you not?

I've never heard someone say "oh yeah, pass through baby...but the arrow is still in the deer".

I'll stick with my strikers, and have an arrow to look at before taking a trail.
Hey pal, read my earlier post, I said I would always like to get a "complete" passthrough so I too can get the information off my arrow. BUT

The arrow and BH will NOT DO ANY MORE DAMAGE once it exits the deer. IMO I would prefer a 2" cutting diameter BH going all the way through a deer and sticking out the opposite side (if I don't get a complete passthrough with the arrow stuck in the ground) over a 1" head stuck 6" into the ground.

Which of these 2 scenarios is going to inflict more damage to the deer?
Inflicting more damage means nothing if you can't find your deer.

Better change of losing a deer with an arrow stuck in it:

a) Not as much blood loss
b) Risk of jumping the deer because you don't have an arrow to inspect.
a. What does the arrow sticking in the animal have to do with blood loss? An arrow in the deer isn't going to plug a 2" hole and if it doesn't come out at bleeds inside, SAME AMOUNT OF BLOOD LOSS

b.If the arrow stays in the deer you should be able to see where you hit and if you're not sure where you hit,wait a few hours before tracking or the next morning. Please don't use jumping a wounded deer because the arrow didn't pass all the way through. WHEN IN DOUBT, BACK OUT.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

A) It will block some blood loss? How would it not?

B) Bleeding internally does not leave a blood trail

When in doubt, check your arrow after a pass through. It will tell most of the story.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

It doesn't cause less blood loss. The arrow may cause less blood to come out, I won't deny that, but a small diameter arrow will not plug or stop blood from coming out a 2" hole. No matter what scenario it is the same amount of blood loss in the animal.

Now using a small cutting diameter head, 1", has a much better chance of plugging up if the arrow stays in. I'm not saying this to bash small diameter heads but it is much higher probability of this happening with small heads. And yes I know you will say that smaller heads have a better chance of complete passthrough, but we're using the scenario of "if the arrow stays in" and there is no guarantee of a complete passthrough with any BH.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

whatever.

Quick Reply: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.