Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's? >

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

I have harvested 6 deer with a Rocky Mountain Snyper head, either the 2 blade original or the newer 3 blade. All but one have been a pass through. The buck in my profile pic was the non pass through shot. I shot him a bit too far ahead and it actually hit the big, flat bone in his shoulder. It smashed completely through it and the arrow was sticking out the other side of him by about 3 inches when I found him. That was with the 3 blade model.

I personally do not like and won't use another head that does not have the chisel tip. I believe the razor tips on the original as well at the rage are too flimsy, especially on a shot like I made. I'd sooner have that little bit of insurance that a chisel will give me in case I make a less than great shot.

Of course, I believe I may go back to a fixed head next year, probably either the newer Muzzy or a Slick. I want t simplify my setup more.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

out of 3 deer, Ive had 1 pass through, and that was because I "sliced" her.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

If it isnt a "pass-thru" issue and people should be more worried about recovery, is the recovery rate for Rage higher than other b-heads? I cant speak because I dont shoot Rage but I am doubtful that people have found any more hit deer with rage than they did with fixed blades. If the recovery rate is the same than I would rather have a complete pass thru. I think part of the appeal with rage is people love are entertained by the enormous entrance wounds, not that they are a more practical broadhead. I know my local bow shop always steers people away from any mechanical unless they are using an incredibly fast set-up.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

It seems like if you place them where your supposed to you'll find them 5" into the ground. That's just my limited experience though.
I can show you photos of my entrance and "exit" wounds from the 4 does I've taken, this year.....and I'll let you decide if the shot placement was good or not. I AM getting an exit wound. I've got it on every one of them. I'm just not getting a complete pass-thru. I have killed probably 11 deer now with the rage....and I'm just NOT getting pass-thrus. I never found one of my arrows, this year. Two were snapped off.....and one was found 20' from the POI. All deer had entrance and exit wounds.....but not once has it stuck the arrow in the ground going through. I'm shooting almost 71FP/KE.

If I remember Rob's post correctly....he didn't get a pass-thru on his buck the other day. He's shooting some SICK KE! I mean WAY up there.

I'm just concerned.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot 4 deer with Snypers and got 2 pass throughs. First was a doe broadside, complete pass through. Second, a buck broadside, complete pass through. Third was a doe broadside, spine shot. Fourth was a doe quartering away hard, arrow went in behind the diaphragm, through the boiler room, hit the socket on the far leg and poked out the front in front of the far leg.

I've shot 2 deer with Rages and got 1 pass through. First was a doe broadside, complete pass through. Second was a hard quartering away shot, arrow went in between last and second to last ribs, through the vitals, and out in front of the far shoulder, but the arrow stayed in the deer.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm starting to worry a bit. These heads are devastating.....but I'm thinking back and trying to remember how many complete "stick in the ground" pass-thru's I've had with them......and the number isn't very high. In reality.....it's 1-2 out of 10-11.

Are they burning up THAT much energy after they enter?

Before I get carried away....I'd like to hear what your experience with pass-thru's has been if you use either of these heads.

Thanks.

Less than a month ago anyone that wasnt shouting the virtues of a Rage from the rooftopswas called a peanut gallery hater. YES, YES, YES, they ARE burning up THAT MUCH ENERGY. It is the law of physics at work. Is it easier to push the tip of a fillet knife througha steak or push the entire blade lengthwise through and cut it in half??? Not to mention the energy wasted on moving parts. They will underperform a fixed blade head on many hits.They have their place,........... in a turkey blind. I killed a 240# buck last Tuesday with a fixed blade head. After hitting the back of his shoulder blade and cutting through 2 ribs I stillhad to pull the arrow out of the ground.Remember, I only pull 28" @ 68#. I can not improve on that, nor would I want to try.Large mechanical are the head of choice for turkeys for the very reason they are NOT the best choice for big game.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

My very first post almost a year ago was on this exact topic. Last year, I shot three deer with them, all recovered but none were complete pass thrus.

I verified that my bow was in tune, but because of a shorter draw length (27.50") and an older bow I am only generating about 61# KE and that is with my bow limbs cranked all the way down.

I am not convinced that 61# KE is enough even though they require very little KE to open, that is still a lot of broadhead width that is hitting bone and having to twist and turn through the body cavity robbing the arrow of KE much quicker as compared to a smaller diameter broadhead.

2 of the three had normal blood trails (no better or worse) as compared to my old stand by, a Muzzy 125gr 3 blade, but the third deer was a marginal liver, 1 lung shot that I had to trail for over 250 yards and even though I did not have a complete pass thru, I still had a good blood trail and I feel confident that the blood trail was much more plentiful and easier to follow than had I used a Muzzy.

So in the last case, at least IMO, it was a good trade off.

I have not used one yet this year, but I plan on killing my next deer with one as I am intrigued with some of the results I read/hear about, but at the same time a complete pass thru is important to me, so I am still on the fence.

I am using a 25gr weighted insert with them this year (this was suggested by some HNI members back in the summer) as I prefer to shoot 125gr vs 100gr and am anxious to see if I think it improves the performance out ofmy bow with them as compared to last year.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've had TWO complete passthrus on the last 9 kills with the Snyper and that was this past video doe and last years doe with RJ.

I really could care less though as each except this last buck had devistating exit holes.

I firmly believe it's the broadhead but will not be changing anytime soon. I love the wide cutting holes.

Consider as well, I've been shooting over 78 ft lbs and up to 82 ft lbs on all shots.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only Rage I ever used was on a coyote, and didn't geta pass through either. Head was completely destroyed. There is absolutely no argue-able (if that's a word) point that can refute the fact that 2" of diameter is eating up a lot of KE, and any obstacle encountered on the way through the cavity will of course soak up more. Are you looking for a COMPLETE passthrough in order to facilitate more blood trail, in that the arrow is not plugging up the hole at all? If there is an exit wound, I think that is more than half the battle, at least there is a hole poked lower down on the deer for the blood to leak out.

As far as KE, 71 is nothing to sneeze at. I'm shooting 90.13# according to the Gold Tip calculator. My Commander is getting 268 fps with a 565 gr. arrow. I buried a Grim Reaper nearly 5" into a hackberry tree this weekend on a miss. I still don't know what it is going to do to a deer, since I need to HIT one to find out.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]

I'm just concerned.
[/quote]

If this is your biggest concern then I think you're good-to-go. Their advantagesin creating easy blood trails are clear and well-documented. The only reason we want pass thru's is to produce easier recoveries. When I lose, a deer with the Rage, I might re-consider but it hasn't even come close to happening yet.

Quick Reply: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.