Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Great evening hunt >

Great evening hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great evening hunt

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Great evening hunt

Without boring anybody with details, due to a family member's injury, I have not been out for an evening hunt
in over a month. I have been out almost every morning the past weeks. I killed a doe & a crazy rack 7 pointer, but now
I am hunting for something bigger. This evening I was able to get out for the afternoon hunt, so I was up my tree by 2:00.
After climbing out of the tree this morning I had made 2 mock scrapes near my stand and put some hot doe pee in them.
After a rattling sequence about 3:00 a small 6 pointer came in to see what was the ruckus... let him walk.. then a small spike came
by and he walked too. Now about 4:00 after rattling again, I had a big bodied deer coming through the woods, as he neared I could
see the rack he was sporting was a very respectable 8, not a monster by any means but not a basket rack either.
He came to one of the scrapes I made earlier in the day.... and he tore it up! He also rubbed crap out of a tree and then
made a scrape of his own. He stopped perfectly broadside at 20 yards and seemed like he was begging for an arrow, but my will power held strong and I imagined how he would look next year. After he moved on I was getting ready to climb down and call it a day, when from behind me I see a huge bodied buck heading my way with very wide rack. It was late in the day still light enough to shoot and this big brute came in and stopped at broadside at
12 yards! He had to be every bit of 200 lbs. his rack was heavy and wide. 6 points but out way past the ears.... the biggest 6 point rack
I have ever seen. I drew back, settled my 10 yard pin on him, put my finger on the trigger... and.... took my finger off the trigger and let my bow back down.
I could not help but think about the very large buck I had seen a few weeks ago that would by far be my biggest buck ever... I was also thinking of this
6 point giant had such great potential for next year.... I figured I would gamble and see if I can't get a shot at the real monarch of this area
where I hunt. I hope I will not end up regretting this ... but I have to say, to have 2 of these really great "shooter" bucks in my area, both within
20 minutes was an event I will not forget. After I let my bow back down this 2nd buck proceeded to the other mock scrape I made this morning, and he tore this one up in a big way! He was grunting and kicking up dirt like a nut! What a great evening.
DW
Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Great evening hunt

Wow...that is awesome! That is some strong will power for sure, congrats! Good luck with the big boy...

What type of scent did you use?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Great willpower!! Hope it pays off for you
Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is a great night on stand! Good luck getting one of them bud!

Shane
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Hey WV I was using something called white tail maniac, from Roger raglin.
Good luck to you too.
Dw