Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Great evening,,, bad ending >

Great evening,,, bad ending

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great evening,,, bad ending

Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Great evening,,, bad ending

Well Ill start by saying Ive been seeing lots of deer so far this season, but hadnt seen a single buck, but had high hope for bucks cause of game cam pics Ive been getting of some really nice bucks,(see avatar). I hadent taken any shots at does yet mostly because of fawns etc. Well this evening I decided to sit a stand on a white oak ridge, the stand has been hung for two years and Ive never hunted it since it was put up. I thought Id sit there this evening,, I sat all the way till right at time to climb down, I had an armadillo under my tree for over a half hour making a terrible racket in the leaves, but I heard a leaf crunch behing me off to one side, I turned and started looking through the brush with the binos, and spotted a great looking buck standing there at 35 yards looking towards the noise the dillo was making, then he started to thrash a tree, and look again at the noise he was hearing then he made a scrape all right there at 35 yards, then he started heading my way up the hill soward an opening right in front of my stand, just as he was stepping out I drew my bow and he stopped at 20 yards broadside with his head down eating acorns, I waited fir him to step out, at full draw for what seemed like forever, finally one more step, good enough, I centered the pin right behind his shoulder, it was really dark, but shooting with both eyes open I could see him well still through the peep. I made a clean release and was actually a little startled at the brightness of the lumenock as the arrow went right for the shoulder, I thought I heard a small branch "tick"rght before I heard the arrow thump and he started tearing up the brush as he bulldozed his was downhill with his tail clamped, he went for about 75 yards or so, then it was quiet,, thats when the shakes started. I started to gather my things and then heard a deer snort right in the area he stopped or dropped. The snorting deer then ran to the other side of the holler and continued to snort about 15-20 times. I thought, there must have been another deer with him! I climbed down and went to my arrow, and was shocked to see it completely clean, with nothing on it, except for a destroyed broadhead,lol. I missed him clean, dont know how, shot felt great, he didnt seem to duck,, just missed, I did think I heard the arrow hit a small branch, but I didnt see it when I aimed, at least I didnt cripple him, and lose him, I got to watch him for a few minutes before the shot, and he was really good,, a 10 with a 18-19 inch spread and good mass and nice tines, Id guess him to score in the 130s. It was an awesome experience, and Im so thankful just to have such a close opportunity at a good buck, but at the same time, Im a little aggravated with myself for missing the shot, maybe its just meant for me to still have a tag when the big nontypical steps into range. Oh well just wanted to whine, thanks for listening. Good luck everyone!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Great evening,,, bad ending

With that nontypical on camera it would be hard to shoot anything but him.....he's got a ton of character and a drop....I would be convinced it was him or nothing.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 PM

Yeah that there is a nice buck. But like you said at least you didnt wound him, and now try for that on in your pic
Old 10-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya scared me Angus. When i read the thread title i remembered those buck pics you had on your game cam of that non-typical and the title also said bad ending, i was thinking the worst, that mabey you got a bad hit on the non typical. i had a lump in my throat. Im glad your miss was a clean one. sounds like you have another nice one running around there. Good luck in your quest for the non-typical.
Dan
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 AM

Good story, sorry for the ending, but that is bowhunting, but the experience is what it is all about. Wait on the non-typical.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 AM

To bad about the miss but rather have a clean miss than a bad hit any day.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Angus, still sounds like a good time in the field!! It wouldn't be as fun if we connected every time, would it? Great story though, I bet your arrow did nick a branch after you released. Keep it up!
Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't feel bad. I've been hunting the same land for 8yrs(public and have yet to see a good buck. Until just the other day, a nice 8pt prob 100-110" comes out but never gives me the shot.[X(]Good going that you got the shot..... look at what you learned and good hunting.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like it may have been a bit too dark for the shot? Oh well, at least your season isn't over!