Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cool hunt this morning, used the other day's calling thread info >

Cool hunt this morning, used the other day's calling thread info

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cool hunt this morning, used the other day's calling thread info

Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Cool hunt this morning, used the other day's calling thread info

I think it was GMMAT (correct me if I'm wrong) who had posted about calling the other day, and when it might be beneficial or not beneficial. I found the idea of the thread interesting, and the info contained as well. Someone (don't remember which member) alluded to a sequence of a few bleats followed by a series of grunts and said, I think, "you'd be surprised how often that works." [to bring a buck in]

Well I didn't see anything in the first hour of my hunt this morning, so I proceeded to let out a few bleats and then some grunts in the direction of where I thought it likely for deer to be bedding. I had never in my life blind-called in a deer before, I tried this solely on the basis of that thread. About five minutes after my sequence, I noticed a large body thirty yards away in a pine thicket behind some brush. This was between me and the bedding area. With the brush, I couldn't see rump or head, just some body. After a minute or so, the deer took a bound into some more brush, and I saw his rack flash across. Tall, dark, sweeping beams, almost reminded me of mule deer antlers. He was standing very aggressively in the thicket, and the hair looked raised on his back through my binos. Seems like the rut is not too far out here in east TN. They don't seem to be chasing yet, but they are getting fired up rubbing and are on edge enough that calling seemed to be effective today. The buck left without a shot, but it was exciting to call in my first one.

So, to everyone that dialogued about that calling thread the other day, thanks. It worked this morning for me. And yes, I was very surprised.

Jon