Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What a cool morning......Still no BBD >

What a cool morning......Still no BBD

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a cool morning......Still no BBD

Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default What a cool morning......Still no BBD

I had a great morning on stand up here in PA. Rob and I got out about 5:45......and we walked out from his house to a spot near here. Rob was talking about how good a turkey spot it was.....and I heard him blow about 20-30 out in the darkness as he went on into the woods to get to a spot where he was going to set up.

First light.....and I see a buck. I could only see the right side from the light and where I was.....but he was a nice buck (4 points on the right side). He didn't gome to a grunt call.....and he went on up the ridge. 30 minutes later......I look to my right and see a big bodied deer about 100yds out. I glass and see he's a solid 8-pointer....possibly a nine with a little crab-claw on his left beam. He turned to go up the ridge and I hit the grunt call. He stopped....and started my way. I had plenty of time to glass him....and he was a solid 125-130" Deer. The wind was blowing up the ridge....and he was coming in downwind of me. He got inside 60yds.....inside 40yds.....inside 30yds....and I have no shot. He's coming right at me. He stops and I know he's +/- 20 yds....and his vitals are right behind a tree. I still can't shoot because of a sapling. I think he caught my scent....and he hopped up the ridge about 3 hops. He never blew.....but he walked away. I won't say "I needed him to take one more step". I needed him to take about 4 for me to have a clear shot.

Awesome encounter, though. It's the biggest buck I've encountered, while hunting.

While on the way back to the house......ROb says "Look to the right....keep moving". He whispered "there's 2 does bedded right there (15 yds off the trail). I kept walking and said...."there's 4". I would have never seen them, though, if he hadn't pointed them out.

Very cool morning....and I think we're all headed back out to this area, this afternoon. Kurt's (Q2inwhitetails)on his way here, and all three of us will hunt this afternoon.

Hopefully we'll have something cool to report back on, later.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What a cool morning......Still no BBD

Sounds like a great morning. Hope ya'll get to loose one this trip!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great encounter, looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow afternoon!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet.......I hope I'm there to help track later this evening! Rob does have a little Honey Hole there behind his place that's for sure.

PS: Somebody put that stinkin' Cardeer necklace on!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sound like a good way to start the weekend hunt.

Best of luck to both you and Rob.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Sounds like a good morning to me! Keep at 'em bro's....
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Real cool morning you had there Jeff, I enjoyed the play by play... those kinds of days are special, even if you didnt get an arrow off. Seeing your biggest buck while hunting,well bud your making great memories with friends, cant beat that!Best of luck to you guys this evening..

No longer is PA a dink buck state.. Happy for you guys out there.. Those antler restrictions must be working as you guys are consistently seeing or killingnice bucks!

Troy
Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great morning! Good luck guys hope you get one!
Tim
Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great hunt! Go get em tonight now!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

glad to hear the Pa hunting is treating you well Jeff! thats awesome. watch out, theres rain heading your way likely...im west of you guys and its drizzling/light raining off and on...cool, a little windy at times...generally moves that direction...but could be moving north..hard to say.

tell Rob to find you a turkey tomarrow!! almost posative the season opens over there tomarrow...i know it does for me in the morning!

keep at it!! im lookin forward to seeing the pics after this weekend!! hopefuly some bone on the ground too!

Quick Reply: What a cool morning......Still no BBD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.