Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 full draw thoughts >

full draw thoughts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

full draw thoughts

Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default full draw thoughts

Pick a spot is my #1

lets hear some others!!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Default RE: full draw thoughts

I don't think.

I'm on auto-pilot until the impact.

Ask me right after a shot what was going through my mind and I really couldn't tell you.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

TWIGS!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1- (conversation in my head) What was that thing in the back of my mind oh yeah Bend and snap no no no its bend at the waist [8D]

#2- Aim for the exit hole

#3- Kinda like Dan, it just happens and I have no real Idea what I am thinking about
Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I don't think.

I'm on auto-pilot until the impact.

Ask me right after a shot what was going through my mind and I really couldn't tell you.
I couldn't agree more. Before draw there are many things like
-shooting lanes
-yardage/pin
-pick a rib

But once in full draw, I don't think I could even tell you my own name let alone hunting strategies. That's why you spend all summer shooting...so you don't have to think at full draw, you've trained yourself to be prepared for the situation
Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1. Did I lock my keys in my car?
#2. Mmmmmm, I could go for a Chicken sub.
#3. If I get my hair cut this weekend there is no way in hell I'm paying $18.
#4. Is that a plane?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive only gotten 3 shots at live animals from my stand...2 bucks and a turkey....

the buck i killed last year, i remember looking at the pin and starting to squeeze when i literally said "TOO HIGH STUPID!!!" dropped the pin and sent it...

first buck was QUICK...he came running through...i IDed him legal and a shooter...hit full draw "bahh" THWACK..arrow was sent the second he stopped...

missed a turkey saturday...it unfolded QUICK...i found the one i wanted...perfect broadside shot but they were all spooked i knew it wouldnt last long...i hit my anchors...told myself 26 or 27...put my top pin at the top of her back..30yd pin was tucked just under the wing butt...sure enough, my arrow flew where i was aiming...top of her back...over estimated the range lol...

i dont think....like Wash said, its all autopilot...i pick my lane and when im going to draw and that sorta thing prior to hitting full draw...once im at full draw, im settling the pin and sending it. dont gotta think anchors or bend at the waist or where i wanna aim or anything...its all second nature. thats where shooting thousands of arrows a year comes into play. its all natural...

i see guys that can shoot "ok" but i know when they are in a stand they CANNOT feel as natural as i do...

i gotta start watching myself and really PICK A SPOT...it almost burned me last year...

same thing i did when i started 3d shooting...i wasnt picking a spot..i was just shooting where i wanted the arrow to go...once i started focusing and picking a spot, my score picked WAY up...i can hit what i wanna hit...i just gotta pick that spot i wanna hit...

but at full draw, im just focused on making that shot...

Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need something to come close enough to draw on before I can answer that question.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM

I reassure my self of the yardage first.

Once I hit full draw I make sure I am using the right pin, then autopilot/instinct takes over.

I really couldn't tell you what happens right after I look through the peep sight and right before I hear the THWACK!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My state of mind is hilarious when i know im going for a shot. I try to get angry, like the deer or whatever did something wrong to me lol! it helps turn the nerves into focus, after the nerves are gone, then its all autopilot. i dont even have to think about where its going to exit or anything like that, it just happens.