Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

full draw

Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Default full draw

The current draw on my bow is about 1 inch longer than needs be so I don't get a full draw. How much does this effect performance of the bow?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Default RE: full draw

do you keep a good anker spot all the time, thats what i would be scared of.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Watch out for wrist slap because it sting's ,and your consistancy could become a real problem. I don't think it'll be an issue about the bow's performance, it'll be an issue about your performance .

nubo
Old 02-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest it doesn't hurt the performance of the bow one bit. What it hurts is your performance with the bow. There are usually issues such as wrist or arm slap with too long a draw. Accuracy goes down the tubes because your upper body is all out of shape instead of in line. You may have aproblem staying "in the wall" because we all creep a bit when settling in after reacching full draw. Your grouping is often scattered left/right, more so thatn up/down. What it amounts to is that you will never reach your potential with an ill fitting bow.

It's very easy to see whether one is drawing too long. When standing at full draw the upper body should be totally erect with no leaning back at the hips. The back and shoulders should form a "T" when aiming level. Tilting the head back or pulling it back at the neck, tilting the head up a little---it's all so easy to see. And hyper-extending the left arm.

The average bowhunter is shooting about 2" longer than he should be to gain optimum accuracy. And most have a combination of too much drawlength and too much weight. So in these cases the "compound" bow problems are compounded.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:15 AM

I think what he is saying is that the draw is 1 inch longer than his anchor, so he is stoping the draw one inch short. He is not getting full rotation of the cams. IMO, you will definitely not shoot your best if that is happening, and the bow will not be as efficient as possible. I would get the draw corrected.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Has it affected your performance?
Old 02-26-2005, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I think what he is saying is that the draw is 1 inch longer than his anchor, so he is stoping the draw one inch short. He is not getting full rotation of the cams. IMO, you will definitely not shoot your best if that is happening, and the bow will not be as efficient as possible. I would get the draw corrected.
This was my take on his question also.
Get the draw shortened to where it is right for you.