Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Rub and Scrapes?? >

Hunting Rub and Scrapes??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Rub and Scrapes??

Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Rub and Scrapes??

I'm a fairly new bowhunter, and I need some advice. I am seeing deer in my stands when I hunt, but when I walked in today I found a huge rub and it was on an oldlogging trail that was just covered in rubs and scrapes. Do I forget my other stands and try to hunker down on the logging road?? Let me know.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Rub and Scrapes??

If you do hunt it do it right now. Bucks will be abandoning rubs and scrapes as they start the seeking phase. If its fresh I would hunt it.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

If you do hunt it do it right now. Bucks will be abandoning rubs and scrapes as they start the seeking phase. If its fresh I would hunt it now.
Right on!!!

You should be happy ShootEm that you have a scenario like this, sounds hot to me!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:22 AM

Sounds like you are almost describing my exact same situation. I plan on sticking with the scrapes and rubs that I have in my area a little longer then focusing more on a food source. I don't have to make much of a move because the scrapes and rubs in my area are near a bean field. Good luck to you!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do hunt it do it right now. Bucks will be abandoning rubs and scrapes as they start the seeking phase. If its fresh I would hunt it.
So you are saying once they start chasing they will not check there scrape? How often does a buck come in to check his scrape? Anyone? Just curious I jumped a big buck yesterday and found a fresh scrap. Do I put doe pee on it?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

When the bucks are In the "all out" chase mode hunting scrapes IMO Is much tougher. Pay attention to your scrapes and see how often they get opened up when the rut Is In the hardcore chase mode. In my woods anyway they don't hardly get touched during the big chase. After things settle down the scrapes once again get much more activity.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My big birthday buck I shot last week walked right down a path in between a standing corn field/edge of the woods....and a logging road...about 15 yards inside of the woods. Along the said path are at least a dozen scrapes...and at least twice that in terms of rubs. For some reason the deer in that woods don't walk down the logging trails. He walked down "scrape road" as we now call it...right to me.

Long story short.....hunt good rub/scrape lines NOW...before they abandon them. I wouldn't worry too much about a lone scrape...with a rub or two near by. I like hunting scrape lines...where every 10 yards there are rubs and scrapes everywhere.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

So you are saying once they start chasing they will not check there scrape? How often does a buck come in to check his scrape? Anyone? Just curious I jumped a big buck yesterday and found a fresh scrap. Do I put doe pee on it?
I'm not saying they won't check them at all, but it will be way less often. Maybe in between breeding and tending does. The time to hunt scrapes and rubs is now. Don't concentrate on one scrape, but a whole scrape line. I try to hunt 50 yards downwind or so of a scrape line. Sometimes they will walk 20-30yrds downwind of a scrape line just scent checking. This will put him right in your bow range. If he does walk right down his scrape line a few grunts will usually bring him in on a string. Very easy to call in this situation.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Spike

what is better to hunt scrapes or rubs I have a spot that there is a couple of scrapes and a couple of rubs saw a buck about 9am but was out of my range wo I moved to a different spot closer to were he went through and he was coming back at about 11:30 am I think I scared him off using my bleat call. Didn't know he was there.