Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting scrapes

Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default hunting scrapes

anyone have luck hunting over scrapes??i see a few deer around them but never got one.whats the secret if there is one???plmk ty
Old 10-15-2005, 11:10 AM

Default RE: hunting scrapes

I shot a decent 10 pt. 2 yrs. ago by sitting close to his scrap. He supprised me on a Monday morining, that Wed. morning I got him at 8:30am with a19 yard shot hunting on the ground. That happen on Oct. 22 here in Ohio (early for active scraps). His neck was already swollen like he wasin rut. My point is here, and my opinion is if you find scraps early, thenhunt them. I've seen lots ofbucks tend to scraps a lotbefore rut comes in. I'm not a expert by any means, just giving you my opinion based on my personal experiences. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:43 AM

Yep i agree, if i find scrapes early and usually you find a string of them, i set up a couple stands on that string of scrapes, for wind reasons, then i hunt them hard. Killed a nice 120 class 8 point last year doing that.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with hunting scrapes. Find a scrape line and watch the wind direction at each. I'll mark them on my topo map and decide which one to hunt each day by the wind direction. If you're lucky enough to have a parcel of land where you can set up a couple of stands without someone stealing them, set two or three off the scrape line keeping in mind the predominant wind direction to stay on the bucks down wind side.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 AM

i had a scrapper 8 point walk right over a mok scrape yestarday and didnt even think twice about it. I did it just like I was told although i didnt have any orbital scent to put on the licking branches above it. Maybe it is too early or someting but it was like it wasnt even there
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he walked over it you did your job. Was he a shooter? For you question yes hunting scrapes can be good if they are active scrapes. You can tell if they are by the fresh pawing each time you return.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:38 AM

ya that info is in my last thread missd another one!!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:17 PM

i'm having the same situation since the end of september until now i have found a total of 8 scrapes strung out on my 20 acres of propety, and being a newbie not to sure how to hunt them or what to look for? i have set up a blind about 15 yards from one of them but there are still 7 other scrapes out there would it be a good idea to use a call considering the situation.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:23 PM

The biggest buck I've ever shot showed up at scrape right before dark... I'd seen him there the night before while shining..... I went in, set a stand and right at dark he came back.......
Old 10-16-2005, 08:48 PM

does anyone think it would be a good idea to use a buck grunt while hunting over a scrape

Quick Reply: hunting scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.