Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
big buck - continued >

big buck - continued

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

big buck - continued

Old 10-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default big buck - continued

So now I get a little ancy. I get out my grunt tube and do a couple grunts. Needless to say he doesn't come runnin, but he doesn't run either. I can't find him in the binos so I think he's gone, but, nope, there he is (40 yds.) and still milling around. Now i'm really getting impatient (it's been about 35-45 min). I get back down on the ground, grunt a few more times, get back up and can't see him (damn, he's gone). So I get up and ease forward, and once I hit the opening (the one I thought he'd come out originally) BOOM there he is and he spots me, takes 2 bounds and stops (quartering away at maybe 30 yards - damn indecision). He is looking right at me, bobbing his head back and fourth (man, what a rack - 20", long tines). I think about drawing but don't like the distance (or the uncertainty of it). But he STILL doesn't run. As he goes behind a tree, I get behind more briars. But I never see him again. What could I have tried differently??

Thanks for stickin' with me
Old 10-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: big buck - continued

I think that you made the right decision not taking a shot that you don't feel comfortable with. The only thing that I would've done differently was when he was within 20 yards I would have came to full draw before I raised up and when he was there I would have taken the shot.