Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I went to the dark side.... >

I went to the dark side....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I went to the dark side....

Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I went to the dark side....

Not completely, but at least for today.

Today is the opening day of Muzzleloader in VA. I took my 10yr old son Garrett out. Had a good morning, though it was much warmer today and pretty windy. 8:15 he says "dad, a buck". Its sneaking down the ridge in a thicket next to us...heading right fora shooting lane. I hand him the m/l and tell him to get ready, and he does. The buck (big spike) begins to walk into the lane broadside at 30yds...pauses with his head out in the lane. Just then...BAM, a shot off behind us a few hundred yards. The buck bolts like he was shot out of a cannon. My son turns and looks at me and says.... "uncle mark [:@]". Turns out his uncle WAS the one who shot and spoiled his chance. I had to laugh, I said that's why they call it hunting. At least he has something to harass his uncle about now...andLord knows he will, it already started[8D]

To top it off....when we walked out about 11....his uncle had just finished cleaning his kill. A little 5pt (that he shot for a doe - he can't half see anymore) that my son has had his eye on the past few weeks. LOL, he was really giving it to him then. Too funny...these are the things that make hunting so fun.

No sign of chasing yet here....I know its just around the corner though. I saw 2 bucks last night on stand with the bow...but both were just browsing and could have cared less about a doe, best I could tell.

Its 72 now [&:]....but I will head back out this evening with my 7yr old daughter, she's been itching to go. Good luck to all!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I went to the dark side....

Good luck!!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Good luck, have fun

Dave
Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

ahh it ain't so bad...I bow hunt religioulsy except the last 2 weeks of theyear in Alabama everyyear. I get to bowhunt GA from Sept until Jan...then head over to Auburn for the rutat the end of January...There is still something fun about squeezing the trigger on a deer at dusk on anAlabama greeen field. I love it as much as bowhunting because it is still hunting.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelP

ahh it ain't so bad...I bow hunt religioulsy except the last 2 weeks of theyear in Alabama everyyear. I get to bowhunt GA from Sept until Jan...then head over to Auburn for the rutat the end of January...There is still something fun about squeezing the trigger on a deer at dusk on anAlabama greeen field. I love it as much as bowhunting because it is still hunting.
I do enjoy it too, but will be back to the bow soon. Honestly I don't even care about shooting one personally....its all about spending time with the kids - teaching them, and having fun! It makes it extra fun when my son gets one like he has the past 2 years. Memories for a lifetime
Old 11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a great and funny story. Tell your son to give it to him!!!

Hatchet Jack