Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 An evening of firsts >

An evening of firsts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An evening of firsts

Old 10-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default An evening of firsts

All I can say, is what a night! First time I have ever hunted on Halloween Night. First time ever using a decoy. And first time I have ever seen 2 bucks fight! I got in my stand at 5:05. At 5:10 I grunteda few times on my EZ grunter, and gave my can call a couple of turns. At about 5:15, I have a small 6 point come in. He never even stopped, and was about 25 yards out. After he walked off, I decided to give the EZ gunter a few more grunt just to see what he would do, he never stopped. At about 5:25, I had a messed up 5 point come in. He came right up to my ladder stand, and sniffed it. He knew I was there, but didnt know what I was. I wanted to take him, but he was too close, and he eventually ran off. Just before 6:00, the 5 point comes back with a different 6 point, and 3 does. They all wnt into the river right behind my stand. (my stand is right on the river bank.) Now all 5 deer are about 15 yards behind me in the river, and the 2 bucks start fighting. After a while, they all went across the river to other side, and I dont have permisionfor that side of gthe river. I had several chances to shoot while they were in the river, but I was afraid they would run to the other side after the shot.
I should note, that none of the bucks even cared about my decoy, but one of the does went right up to it, and spent about 5 minutes sniffing it[8D]. So, I was on stand from 5:05, to 6:30, and I had deer within 20 yards of my tree all but about 15 minutes. What a night

Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Default RE: An evening of firsts

well ....... i handed out candy.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an awesome night....beats sitting here in the southern partMexico where there are no deerworking.....
Old 10-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I handed out candy hoping to go hunting in the morning if my wife doesn't get called into work tonight.