Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 church and hunting >

church and hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

church and hunting

Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: church and hunting

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Isn't it great that another man can tell you his relationship with the Lord is "better" than yours.....and if you don't do it "his way".....you're not understanding?

My grandpa had a great relationship with God.....and I don't ever recall seeing him in an organized Church (grandma was there, playing the piano and singing). If there isn't room in God's kingdom for him....I don't stand a chance.

Let us not forget that more men have been killed in the name of "Christianity" (remember those things called the Crusades?)than in all the other wars of man, combined. "We" Christians are a terribly judgemental group, huh? Takes "my way or the highway" to anew meaning, doesn't it?"Worship and believe MY way.....or diea terrible death at the hands of God.....or, better yet,ME".

Judge not.....lest you be judged. Think I heard that somewhere.
there is only ONE way, Jeff ....GOD'S way ....

as far as those that were killed ....just an FYI ...true believers were killed in those crusades ...... that was led by satan ....not true believers ...
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Man it really makes me sad when I hear someone say that they don't believe inGod or when they describe a time when someone has looked down their nose at them and said something like, "You must be baptized to get to heaven" or "You better be in church on Sunday or you're headed to Hell" or "All alcoholics go to Hell" or my favorite of all, "Liberals can't be Christians."

Lots of folks out there have been hurt by the words of other people, judgements passed, and measurements made of them and it has usually been done by someone close to them or by another church member. This is the sad part because after being hurt, these people develope their image of God by what they have heard and they end up thinking, "Well, I'm a drinker, a cusser, I don't go to church, and so on. I guess God really doesn't love me." People get off the bus here believing these lies and they never get to the point to discover the truth. The Truth is that God/Jesus never said you better be in church every Sunday. He said, "Do not forsake the assembly of believers." He stopped there and did not make it a weekly mandate. Jesus never said, "Don't drink beer." He said, "Come as you are." Jesus began his ministry in this world in the nastiest parts of town with the dredges of society. He could care less about what you look like or what you have done. One thing about God is that He forgets every bit of what you have done after you accept forgiveness for your previous life. The recurring themes in the Bibleare: Love and Forgiveness. These are two principles that are often times lost these days when people get into discussions of law and what you "have to do" to be a Christian.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is Church a good thing? Yes.

Do you have to go to get to heaven? No.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

noone said you did ...... but it shows your priorities .....

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't it great that another man can tell you his relationship with the Lord is "better" than yours.....and if you don't do it "his way".....you're not understanding?

My grandpa had a great relationship with God.....and I don't ever recall seeing him in an organized Church (grandma was there, playing the piano and singing). If there isn't room in God's kingdom for him....I don't stand a chance.

Let us not forget that more men have been killed in the name of "Christianity" (remember those things called the Crusades?)than in all the other wars of man, combined. "We" Christians are a terribly judgemental group, huh? Takes "my way or the highway" to anew meaning, doesn't it?"Worship and believe MY way.....or diea terrible death at the hands of God.....or, better yet,ME".

Judge not.....lest you be judged. Think I heard that somewhere.
im going to disect and explainthe fault in this statement
of course im not speaking for all christians primarily catholics because im a catholic
you dont have to be baptised in a church to be saved which is refered to as baptism of water. there are other ways of being saved there is also baptism of desire whish is merely a person who loves God above all things and is doing what they believ is right and wat God wants them to do. also there is baptism of blood this when a person dies for a nobel cause or for a freind or soemthing of that nature. you see you dotn have to be an officially baptised in a church to make it to heaven if you believe that your way is the way that christ wants you to live then go ahead a do it but wa im trying to say is as a catholic and as most all catholic christians believe you dotn have to bebaptised in a church to be saved so dont think that we are judging you and thing that people like you are going to go to hell because you werent baptised in a church
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Not "my way", HIS way, clearly explained in the bible. Its not about "us". Its about HIM. Thats what so many dont get. You either have a true relationship with the Lord or you dont. Its really quite simple. There is no "better". Understand???
Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

So let's say Jeff(for the sake of argument) doesnt go to church regulary. But sits down and prays with his family. Thats "church" right?

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

From the middle of October thru mid December, I'm use to hunt every chance I got. I coached basketball and soccer for 20 years, gave up hunting time on Saturdays and Sundays, to coach rec leagues and CYO teams. Finally, four years ago, I took up bowhunting and instead of just missing Sunday mornings, I would miss Sundays all together, including October. My priest would want all coaches to attend mass and I would try to oblige, just not all the time or I would go to six o'clock mass if I got back in time.He would notice and say "I didn't see you at the CYO mass at 9:00 for a few months. Anything wrong ?" I told him I hunted and I'm not giving up on the girls teams or God, just finding time to fit in both.Last year I gave it all up and now my time is my own. I brought up six kids, sent them all to Catholic school, brought them up the right way, and now, I head up to the woods every saturday to sunday night and miss Church during that time. I say the rosary while I'm in the woods, but that's just to save a few souls, and maybe ask for a little help from above. During Lent, I go to mass every day to try to make up for it, call me a hypocrite or whatever, but I hope I'll be judged by what I've done, what I'm doing, and what I believe, and not where I am.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

So let's say Jeff(for the sake of argument) doesnt go to church regulary. But sits down and prays with his family. Thats "church" right?

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
First of all, Jeff needed to repent of his good works to get to Heaven and put His faith in the finished work of The Lord Jesus Christ ...in other words ...become born again ....born of the Spirit ....... then he has God dwelling in him .... I have never asked him if he has done that, so I make no assumptions to that end .....

if THAT has been done, it is still not "church" .... church is made up of Elders and Deacons and other folks that believe ....... praying with the family is just as important ... and precious ... it's just NOT church
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Fletch I understand I don't need you or anyone else to approve or disapprove of MY relationship. I don't need your rubber stamp of approval, either.

Maybe it's YOU who doesn't understand MY relationship? That scares a lot of people.....not knowing. I'm fine with it, though.

I don't want to get off on too much of a tangent, PT....but you and I have discussed this before. 3/4 of the people in God's world (Earth)will never even be introduced to Christianity. I have a hard time believing that the God I worship would condemn 3/4 of the population of the world to Hell because they never had anyone show them "the way". It's the divine. sanctimoniuos opinion of many Christians that this is, in fact, "reality". It's the ultimate game of divisiveness that I won't play.

If bad people can go to Heaven...."I" believe that good people can go to Heaven. I won't get into what the "good" people have to do to pass God's Lithmus test. You'll claim it isn't up for interpretation. I contend there's a LOT of the Bible up for interpretation. We have a difference of opinion. I can live with that, just fine. I don't worry about me.....and I certainly don't worry about how I assemble with God. If we assemble with me 23' closer to him.....who's to say we're not in Church?

We see it ALL the time.....people intimidated by things they either refuse to or cannot comprehend. Gay-bashing.....racism.....religion. Just because the "other guy" isn't doing it the way you think God wants him to.......it doesn't mean he isn't doing it in a manner acceptable (or heck....even preferred) by God. I'm not speaking to you directly, Tony. I trust you know that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.