Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rob, I need some help/advice !!! >

Rob, I need some help/advice !!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rob, I need some help/advice !!!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Rob, I need some help/advice !!!

My son Nick (16 years old) has shown some interest in video taping his hunts. He went out Tuesday with a hand held camera and actually got some cool shots of a few fawns and a doe. The quality is not the greatest considering it was hand held off the shelf unit.

I was wondering what setup you use? A link to the product site would be helpful. Both he and I would like to know what the investment cost would be.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rob, I need some help/advice !!!

Dave, you may want to try posting this in the Video/Photography forum as well. A lot of knowledgable folks over there.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=106

Now to better answer your question I would have a few of my own. What purpose are you going to use the footage for (personal entertainment, YouTube, website, making a DVD)? How much are you looking to spend? Will a cameraman be available or will it be mostly or all self filmed?

Knowing this will help us point you in the right direction.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks HuntingBry for responding. This will be for our own personal entertainment. Cost is not really an issue. There will be no cameraman involved except for him and I, most will be self filmed. I am more looking towards a setup I can show my son.

I want to make sure this equipment will get utilized before putting out any cash. My son asked the question so I figured you gents would be the ones to know.

Wind has changed and hunting clothes are dry............heading to the woods!!!! Catcha later))

Dave
Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Float me a loan??

ORIGINAL: SouthernMDArchers

Cost is not really an issue.

Dave
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a camera arm from Pass_Thru here on HNI. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3015582&mpage=1 Contact Pass_Thru if your interested.

My camera is a Cannon GL2 ($1500-$3000 depending) (I bought mine used from River Valley Game Calls where I pro staff and have used this camera for years, they upgraded to HD) and I bought the fluid head for on the tree arm from B&H Photo online store. $118.00 It's also where I buy my miniDV tapes etc.. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

My camera came with the Mic adapters: http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm and boom mic.

I picked up some wireless mics that I haven't put to use when hunting by myself. They were more purchased for turkey hunting or when I'm serious with another shooter. : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist &sku=3656

Here's what it looks like set up. (I didn't level it on this photo op)

Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob's set up is a pretty good example of what to look for. If cost is not an issue you will want to go with a prosumer type camera because it will extend your filming time drastically with the advantage of an adjustable iris and gain settings.

I use a Sony PD150 and you can find the PD150 and PD170 on Ebay for very reasonable prices (relatively speaking). I prefer the Sonys because they do a little better in low light than the Canons and already have the XLR jacks and a shotgun mic standard, so that lowers the upgrade costs. If you were to go with the GL2 like Rob's I'd suggest setting it up in a similar manner with the mic adapters and a purchased shotgun mic. It's amazing how much more sound they pick up. Wireless mics are nice to have, but not necessary unless you are planning on doing some more serious production as they let you really hear the hunter.

One of the most important pieces is the tree arm. I learned very quickly that if you are going to do some self filming to get a tree arm that is lightweight yet steady on the the tree and smooth. I have no experience with Pass Thru's arm that Rob uses, but I have heard good things about it. I don't know what it weighs either. From a cost and weight standpoint I would look at the Go Muddy tree arm http://www.gomuddy.com/products/2. They are lightweight and cost effective. They are also being used by some well known film producers so they are very functional as well. Couple it with a good fluid head and you will be in good shape.

Another valuable piece of equipment is a remote LANC controller. This allows you to control your focus, zoom, and recording with your thumb minimizing the amount of movement you make and is absolutely essential if you are filming by yourself.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or post them up here and I'll help you out the best that I can.

Good luck tonight!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 AM

Thanks guys for posting. This helps a ton. I am going to look into this but I want to make sure this is something my boys will actually use before I put out any cash)))

Oh and Navydeerhunter, I will give you a loan when you put me on the monsters, I have yet to see anything larger than a 8 pt. 100-110 class deer this year. Quit hogging up all the deer, I know its you.))) If I remember correctly you are only hunting 10 miles down the road from me.

Go push some of those big boys my way)))

Dave