Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another possible season ending injury? >

another possible season ending injury?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another possible season ending injury?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default another possible season ending injury?

[:@][:'(]maybe... but maybe not! I injured my ankle ankle (golfing [:-]) a couple months ago. Like an idiot I didn't get it checked out back then and it hasn't really been right since. Last night on my way out of the woods in the dark during 40 mph winds and driving rain I thought I'd add to my enjoyment by stepping in a hole. I twisted it and thought I heard something pop. Either that or it was the limbs of trees rattling around. Anyway I dropped to the ground and laid there for 5 minutes or so. Grabbed a limb and hobbled my way back to my truck. Swelled up like a softball last night and can hardly put any pressure on it today. I managed my way to a stand this morning and made an doctors appointment for tommorow. I have a couple ladder stands I may be able to get up in or a ground blind or I don't freaking know what. Wonder if I should take a 4 wheeler to my stand (which I detest the thought of) or use a crutch. This sucks![:@]
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another possible season ending injury?

Crutch if you have to, but stay home until you find out what the dr says. Taking a 4 wheeler to your stand area is like asking to go blind. You won't see anything! Good luck brother and keep us advised.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope it heals up quickly. I'll be seing a MD about my elbow tomorrow. I got worried about putting things off. use the 4-wheeler if you have to, it beats sitting at home.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Four wheelers are very commonly used by farmers. They don't bother the deer as bad as you might think.

My uncle and I sat near a dugout after riding in on a four wheeler. We left it 100 yds away. We still saw deer.

Around here, deer think nothing of vehicles, farmers are leaving tractors, trucks, pickups etc out in the field all the time. Deer will walk right up to a vehicle. I've seen them do it with people sitting inside.

As long as you can pull your bow, get out and hunt.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope that thingheals up for you so you can finish out your season. The ladder stand sounds like a good comprimise, I'd stay away from the quad.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take care of yourselves guys!! This Is hunting season guys!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

4 wheelers and utility vehicles dont seem to bother deer in my area, heck we have them walk right up to our JD Gator like its a toy....doenst bother them one bit.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ken I hope it isn't serious and I hope it heals quickly! Two comments,one is ladder stands will be much safer than tree steps if you have that choice,if you are going up steps and are favoring your other leg make sure you are connected all the way up and all the way down.As far as the four wheeler is concerned if it is use it or don't hunt I would use it.I have come up on skiddish mountain deer while putting along on a four wheeler and they don't scald out of the area.Probably less of a concern on an afternoon hunt,if you get set up extra early.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man up, need I remind you that I was in a treestand in a cast from a snapped Achilles Tendon? I hobbled in on crutches, was dropped off and rode a mountain bike but I was there. In all seriousness, heal up but don't let it ruin your season. Where there is a will, there is a way.

And don't all of you guys already know your not suppose to do anything that could jeopardize the season, it's hunting and the couch, that's all. [8D]