Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sweet ending to the season...pic >

Sweet ending to the season...pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sweet ending to the season...pic

Old 01-03-2006, 08:40 AM

Default Sweet ending to the season...pic

Well December 31st marked the last day of my archery season here in Long Island NY and found me sitting in one of my late season spots before dawn for the last time at this particular spot.

My buddy and I have been hunting this one spot for about 12 years now and have really grown attached to it. Earlier this year the land was sold to the state and they will be turning it in to a park (better than the original option which was going to be townhouses). Anyway, we squeaked out the season and it will definitely be off limits from now on (for hunting at least). Well, my buddy and I made it a point to give it our last effort and hunt there the last day of the season/the last day ever.

I made my way to a stand of mine that is nestled right in the thick stuff, (can't even really get there till late in the year). Anyway, we planned to hunt the morning till 9:30 10:00 and call it a season. It was about 9:00 and I was literally sitting there with a smile on my face remembering all the good times and good hunts we had here. I was really making it a point to take it all in, all the good times, all the smiles and success we've all had there; when all of the sudden I think I hear a twig break to my left. I'm thinking, ah probably birds as they were really breaking twigs and making a rucus all morning. I look into the trees and spot a doe heading my way. I was getting ready to close the season on a decent doe when I spot 3 other deer behind her and the second in line was a decent buck. (not huge by some standards but nice enough for me) Anyway, the doe keeps on coming right down the trail I hoped for and stops about 10 yards from me and just locks in on me, I stand perfectly still and pray she goes on her way, sure enough she puts her head down and mosies on down the trail right past me. The buck who stopped when she did finally starts to come my way and stops right in the same spot as the doe. He too spots me as I have not too much cover this time of year but it is too late as I release the arrow and send it though his vitals.

I called my buddy and snuck out of there to go get some breakfast and give him a few hours. He was quartering to me and I know I got at least one lung but wasn't sure I got the second lung. We came back and began trailing with no blood what so ever. We followed some tracks about 70 yards, I took a set of tracks on the high trail and my buddy took the low trail. He whistled to me that he had found the deer. Turned out I got one lung and I think the liver. There was no exit wound as I blew through the shoulder blade but never made it out the opposite side as it went in instead of through, but the Magnus did it's job and the deer was recovered quickly. (second deer with the Magnus, I like this head)

This is not my biggest deer but no doubt it is one I will remember as the deer that officially closed a chapter of my hunting life. It will forever be embedded in my memory and I only hope I can find a new spot that will bring me as much pleasure and passion as this one has.

Sorry this was so long, just wanted to share.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 AM

Default RE: Sweet ending to the season...pic

Great story and nice buck especially for a season ender.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a great hunt and a buck harvest that will provide life long memories. Thanks for sharing the story with us.
Craig
Old 01-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Site Bouncer

Great deer and great story as well...congrats!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations, very nice buck! Very nice ending to the spot.

I would warn/advise you not to take quartering to shots however.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great Story and congrat's on your buck ,hopefully this isn't an ending to a great partnership to a great area .

nubo
Old 01-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent, way to finish on a great note! Congrats on a fine story and critter. Best of luck next season as well.

Troy
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story and congrats!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Great story and nice buck. One last memory and maybe the best as it sounds. Good luck with whatever new hunting grounds you may find.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

That is a real nice buck. It goes to show you that there out there.

Quick Reply: Sweet ending to the season...pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.