Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how long did it take >

how long did it take

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how long did it take

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how long did it take

Killed one my on my first hunt.

A nice mature doe.

It will happen for you. There are plenty of deer out there, keep your head up.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Took me 8 years and several hundred hours of stand time.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It took me 45minutes on my first bowhunt to tag a nice 6pt. I hunted for 3years after that to kill another with a bow. Since than i've killed 4 more. I Killed my first deer with a rifle my 2nd year hunting and i've killed atleast 1 every year since. Stick with it it'll happen.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Shot mine at 8am opening morning on my first season ever (this year). Before he came in I think I let 6 or 7 other deer walk that were anywhere from 10-20 yards.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you forcing the shot? Be patent and it will come. Use the wind as your ally not your enemy.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

bowhunting....well it prolly took me 6 years. i killed my first with a gun at 7 and where i hunted at it was hard to bowhunt and i had nobody to teach me, so i tried with a recurve and an antique bear compound but never tried real har. i mean why should i? i was killing deer left and right with my gun. then about 2 years ago i started bowhunting hard and last year i finally scored. 60 lb yearling that had my heart beating like you wouldn believe. i have killed several really nice bucks but the only 1 thast comes close to that yearling is the huge 8 pt that i helped my fiance kill this last weekend. her very first deer and 1 hell of a buck to boot. iv never been that excited about a deer i personally shot
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting a bow since I could walk, but I never hunted with one till I was a teenager. That year I missed a ton of deer. It was nothing like shooting on the range. Awful buck fever didn't help any either. But I did get a little doe later that season. I've been lucky enough to get a deer every bow season I've had a chance to hunt since then.

Don't feel bad about missing a few deer with a bow. Until you break the ice and get the hang of it, it's going to happen. Just keep at it, and after you get that first one, things will become much easier.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my first deer the 2nd year I started hunting with a rifle.....and I got my first doe kill in late archery season (december), also in my 2nd season of bowhunting.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

About halfway through my second season i shot a small dow at 40 yards while walking back to my truck. Since then it has all been smooth sailing. The reason i didn't get one my first season is because i just didn't have a good place to hunt with a large deer herd. You can't compare yourself to others, because some of these guy's were blessed with amazing places to hunt and may have even been guided by an experienced hunter on where to sit and what to do. Maybe you should try looking for more options as far as hunting properties go.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 AM

I bowhunted about a year in 1965 and in 1966 got in a club and shot some indoor target. Right away I seen way I was missing. I was shooting at the hole deer and not a spot. The secound year I got a heaver 65 Lb recurve like allthe big boys in the cluband could shoot center out of a spot all day longand shooting in the 270 sto 280 bare bow.That year I took two buckone in my home state and one out of state and back then there wasn't as many deer around.Ihave been taking two to four big game animal Evey year now forthe last 40 + years.

Quick Reply: how long did it take

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.