Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has it taken the glory away from it?? >

Has it taken the glory away from it??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has it taken the glory away from it??

Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Has it taken the glory away from it??

With all the QDMA talk and the deer farms, do you think that it will make 130"-150" deer more of a common thing over the next several years... I mean I have yet to kill a deer over 140" and I hunt in some areas that carry 190 and up deer, but with more people practicing QDM will it take away from the novelty or glory of killing a deer in the 130"s , will make it not as big a deal?? I mean if the bar has risen to a certain level, then it has to take away from the glory of what used to be...think about an 8lb largemouth, they so common here in the south nobody even gets excited over it, unless it's in a tourney and then it's a good bit of excitement..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has it taken the glory away from it??

For me no, I don't think so!!!!!! I get just as much glory out of itknowing I have been a part of improving our herd health and offering to them what they couldn't get naturally b/c of the lack of nutrients (vegetation). In the area I hunt, a 140" deer that's 31/2(on free range land) is damn near unheard of and after 3 years of management (letting em grow) and offering them proper nutrition we haveseveral deer thatwe have gotten on camera this year that are 4 1/2-5 1/2 that are in the 140's and a couple that are in the 150+range...I take pride (glory) in the fact that I was a part of that, letting them get some age on them and offering them good nutrients!!!!! This is just my take on it, I am sure if I lived (hunted) elswhereI would have a different opinion about it....
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM

good response...But what Im saying is if we eventually have a ton of 130-140 walking around, then will we begin to see them like we see the 100-120's now, too small or too young...?? will the frequentness of them them take away from what it once was...in other words, to kill a 130" buck is not a big deal anymore ??
Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion it will never happen VA, alot of people get on here and preach QDM and letting them walk, but go behind the scenes and it's brown and down. Thereare millions of hunters out there and very few of them actually practice what the preach on an internet forum. There are many more guys at walmart buying ammo and braodheads the night before opening day than there are guys practicing their craft throughout the summer. Just my 2cents
Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I see what your saying. We hunt for deer with age on them, we put no stock in headgear (that is just a bonus)!!!! I guess if we completely succeded in seeing nothing but mature deer (which I don't think is likely) then what you are talking about would come into play....I guess then it would be about inches... But no, I don't think it would take all the glory out of it for me....Hunting a small"deer farm" "high fenced" operation, hell no, I don't see themuch of an accomplishment in that, I am not a big fan of those operations and they are popping up everywhere in my state.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM

very true MichaelP... I had a guy tell me sat at the club that he has missed 6 deer this year!! I said why?? He said he never picked up the bow until opening day!! and after he missed six he finally saw that his rest was missing a set screw!!! arrrggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

VA what you state is the rule and not the exception imo. I too have an uncle that went to my graqndfathers club last year to bowhunt. He swore he was ready and the first time he shot it during mid day break his peep fly's out. The string was more or less dry rotted, and what he does not realize was the danger of the bow blowing up...much less wounding a deer. Same uncle shoots and misses 2 does at less than fifty yards this weekend with a rifle...swears the gun was dead on and must be messed up. I like this conversation as it should peak everones interest of what is a trophy to them.

To answer your original question, it would diminish it for me if they were everywhere and then 160 would be the dream/goal. I only shoot bucks that I will mount, so this more or less does not affect me either way...I may mount a thick beam, short tined, beautiful 110 8pt and let a skinny looking 125 walk the next day.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The key is to hunt for yourself. It a 130" deer isn't big enough for you...then don't shoot it. If a 90" deer makes your hunting season complete, put an arrow through it.

The most exciting hunts in the 25+yrs I've been in a tree have most definitely not been the biggest bucks.

I see what you're saying...but I'll always respect what I shoot and not worry about inches.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Dominant Buck

When a 3.5 and a 4.5 here have trouble pushing 100"......I find it very hard to relate to your question.....lol.

Seriously.....When the grounds you hunt provide a multitude of opportunities of deer that size....I could see THAT taking something away from a 130" deer. Around here....if you get a chance at a 100" deer.....you'd better take it. Some people () have hunted for years (over 165 sits) and SEEN 2-3 100" deer.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

When a 3.5 and a 4.5 here have trouble pushing 100"......I find it very hard to relate to your question.....lol.

Seriously.....When the grounds you hunt provide a multitude of opportunities of deer that size....I could see THAT taking something away from a 130" deer. Around here....if you get a chance at a 100" deer.....you'd better take it. Some people () have hunted for years (over 165 sits) and SEEN 2-3 100" deer.
AMEN to that GMMAT ... I can relate

VA...I don't think it will. Its all relative really. Look there are some folks on this board that already live that today. They see 120's & 130's regularly (and laugh at us who don't) its just where they are. I and the guys I hunt with HAVE passed loads ofbucks, in hopes it would make a difference over the last10yrs. In fact my last bowkill buck (by choice) was in 1997. I've literally passed hundreds of bucks, praying that by letting them walk some would one day turn into the buck I want to shoot.Its gotten better...we see more bucks and bigger bucks now, but 120's - 130's regularly .... no way, it ain't ever gonna happen. Now Im not saying there ain't one out there, but they certainly aren't commonplace, or even rare. They are incredibly rare.

I agree with Pro-Line....hunt for what makes you happy, and be good with that. I've killed a few during that time with the gunand ml, and they made me happy...110"- 115", about as good as I can realistically expect where I am. Still holding out in the hopes that a "good one" will come by me during bow season....otherwise its more slickheads for me.