Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 old glory problems? >

old glory problems?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

old glory problems?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Default old glory problems?

i have had my old glory for three days, and something isn't right with it. the AA is 37.25, but the brace height is 7.5. I've twisted the cables to get the draw weight to 70lbs, but the BH is still to long. The bow seems like it's very slow, the only thing i've got on the string is a loop. any help would be very helpful.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: old glory problems?

There is a post on here from Len in Maryland talking about being careful with string and harness twisting. Please read that and adhere to the owners manual specs for these bows. Twisting too much could cause a major malfunction and ultimately injuring you.

On the note of the bow, take it to the shop you bought it and have it checked out. If they don't see anything wrong, send a few through the chrono to see what its shooting. Not doubting your word, but the scale you're using could be off. My buddy and I just found out how much scales can differ from shop to shop.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM

My BH was off on my constitution by 5/16 of an inch. Mine was fast, but was terrible for handshock. I don't know if it was the long riser or what. Bowtech rep said it was fine.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you have a problem.......the last 4 Old Glory's that I measured have those exact specs.......including mine. My BH is exactly 7.5".
They have changed the "Optimal" cam position as well as string and cable lengths a bit since first releasing the specs, and a byproduct of that seems to be a little more brace height and the reason we have seen the drop in speed to about 307-14fps or so for a 30"/70# model. They gave up a little bit of the aggresiveness of the original cam position in favor of a smoother drawing and shooting bow. I have to say mine draws like butter........and I wouldn't exactly call it slow.
I chrono'd mine tonight for the first time.
30"/60# w/ a 356gr Carbon Express CXL350 mine is shooting 289fps. That's with a peep, loop, and 2 tied in nock sets.
My "Birth Certificate" reads 30"/60#/300gr arrow = 306fps. So I am only dropping 17fps for a 56gr jump in arrow weight.
(String load is a wash probably because I swapped the silencers, brass nockset and eliminator buttons for stuff of probably a similar overall weight)
To me it feels slower but it's zipping them out there nicely.[:-] Depending if I am shooting ASA or not, even with the 56gr heavier arrows I may have to SLOW it down a bit.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. i have only put three twist in each end of the harness, which the owners manuel says is okay. After i put the twist in the cables the draw weight was right on 70lbs. it's good to know that they changed the cam position, and that is what is making the brace height .25inch more than the specs. I could not figure the problem out, because this bow puts the arrows in the same hole. The draw on the old glory is 10 times better than my LX. I was kind of skeptical at first of the binary cam system, but after shooting this bow for three days the LX will be a good back up. I am willing to give up a little speed for the kind of accuracy i am having with the OG. thanks
Old 02-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Spike

Matt,
What were the original specs on the OG ??
The last time I checked the ATA was 37 1/2" & the BH was 7 1/4".

Are you saying that Bowtech is re-rigging the current models to change cam position ?

If that's the case what are you suppose to do if you have one of the earlier models ??

Somewhat bewildered