Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone? >

Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?

Went out tonight for the first time since Thursday evening. I was in the same tree tonight as I was Thursday evening (NW corner of my food plot). This area has been an absolute hot zone for deer/turkey sightings. I've hunted it no more than twice per week (sometimes less), and only when the wind is right, because this seems to be my hotspot. Well tonight was no different. I saw 6 total, with 3 of them passing in and out of the 30yd mark (never came closer). I pondered taking one, but I passed tonight for two reasons. One, 30yd shots, although I practice there quite often, and I was still nailing the mark yesterday at that distance, I like to get them in a bit closer. Secondly, we're getting closer and closer to that magic time, and the first scrape appeared along this plot since Thursday, so I was hoping these doe would be my bait.

Question is, would you take a doe out of this area given that you stand a chance of drawing in a buck with them? Does it really disrupt the remaining group and their habits? What about the general area? I'm being very careful with the area, because frankly, if the doe continue coming into this field in the evening, it's only a matter of time until the bucks do as well, right? So the more, the merrier? What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?

At this point in the season, I would leave the does alone. You always have rifle/late season to thin them. I also wouldn't be focusing on their food, but rather their bedding. I would be looking for topo features downwind of that bedding area. You won't see as many deer, but you will seemore bucks.

I had a similar scenario last weekend. In NY I had a family group of does come to 18 yards. I knew I was close to their bedding, so I passed them knowing at least one would cycle into heat in the next week or two. They ended up bedding within 50 yards. I watched until noon or so, and then backed out knowing they will be back. There is a stream crossing just 50 yards from there downwind, and I'll be campng out there next week.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rick James

At this point in the season, I would leave the does alone. You always have rifle/late season to thin them. I also wouldn't be focusing on their food, but rather their bedding. I would be looking for topo features downwind of that bedding area. You won't see as many deer, but you will seemore bucks.

I had a similar scenario last weekend. In NY I had a family group of does come to 18 yards. I knew I was close to their bedding, so I passed them knowing at least one would cycle into heat in the next week or two. They ended up bedding within 50 yards. I watched until noon or so, and then backed out knowing they will be back. There is a stream crossing just 50 yards from there downwind, and I'll be campng out there next week.
I agree with Matt, at any time now a doe could be leading that buck of a lifetime. One never knows but would you want to take that chance?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

X3...leave them be until thing cool down after the rut. They are the perfect "bait".
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, interesting comment about not concentrating on their feeding areas. I'm not doubting you, and it makes sense to an extent, but you see people do it all of the time (I know a lot of people on here are currently setup hunting doe feeding areas), but what I like about your thoughts isn't even related to buck sightings, it's the fact that staying off the food source lowers my risk of getting stuck in the stand as light fades. I ALMOST was busted tonight getting down by a late comer to the plot (a small doe).

Here's a topo/arial of the area I was hunting and let me know what you think:

The light blue is the food plot, the orange dot is my ladder stand (I mistyped earlier...it's my NE stand, not NW), the small orange lines are the main entrance routes the deer have been taking. The red is one area I KNOW is a bedding area, although they don't always enter the field from that western end. Spot "B" is the location of my one hang on stand that I usually hunt in the morning (the orange line there not only is their travel routes, but's a logging road as well). This is where I passed a small 6 point two weeks ago on a morning hunt. Should I try this spot in the evening, or should I move a bit further west, and into what are basically large stands of pines/hemlocks. I'm thinking this could be a nice spot tomorrow with the high winds that are forecasted.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea for the most part, doe whacking takes a break. BUT there are a few cases where I’d still drill one. If I didn’t have ANY deer by now and I was in a situation where shooting one wouldn’t disrupt anything else. For instance, last night I was hunting tucked just inside a field edge. Had a small 4 pt feeding 58 yds away. Along comes this “doe” out of the woods pretty close to me. Well she turned out to be a he. A nice plump BB, that almost still caught an arrow. It’s absolute last light, he’s 12 yds away broadside feeding, no other deer can make it in to my setup before I lose light & odds of him making it to the other side of the field and into the woods before dropping were small. If he’d have been a doe, I would have drilled it without hesitation.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

For me, I'd prefer to let the does go, but have promised the farmer that I would shoot any/all does regardless of timing to the rut. Have to make good on that promise...simple as that.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only have until November 15th to kill does. After that its bucks only. I have 2 doe tags and an empty freezer. I'm shooting.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a long season....doe open the whole time. Personally, I would NOT take one now.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about hunting doe food sources (rather than setting up in between them or near their bedding)? I'm not questioning RJ's logic, I'm just curious to see if others employ this tactic. High winds and rain/snow in the forecast today, so if I do go out, I'm going into that pine thicket, but later this week when it's nicer, I'm not sure now if I should move off the food source, and closer to the bedding, or what?

Quick Reply: Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.