HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
MGH_PA
Nontypical Buck

Default Hot zone for the does...take one out, or leave them alone?

Went out tonight for the first time since Thursday evening. I was in the same tree tonight as I was Thursday evening (NW corner of my food plot). This area has been an absolute hot zone for deer/turkey sightings. I've hunted it no more than twice per week (sometimes less), and only when the wind is right, because this seems to be my hotspot. Well tonight was no different. I saw 6 total, with 3 of them passing in and out of the 30yd mark (never came closer). I pondered taking one, but I passed tonight for two reasons. One, 30yd shots, although I practice there quite often, and I was still nailing the mark yesterday at that distance, I like to get them in a bit closer. Secondly, we're getting closer and closer to that magic time, and the first scrape appeared along this plot since Thursday, so I was hoping these doe would be my bait.

Question is, would you take a doe out of this area given that you stand a chance of drawing in a buck with them? Does it really disrupt the remaining group and their habits? What about the general area? I'm being very careful with the area, because frankly, if the doe continue coming into this field in the evening, it's only a matter of time until the bucks do as well, right? So the more, the merrier? What do you guys think?