Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 trying hard not to complain........... >

trying hard not to complain...........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trying hard not to complain...........

Old 10-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trying hard not to complain...........

You should have stuck it out. I almost called it a day several times today but decided since I went so far back in I should make the most of it. From noon to 5pm didn't see a deer...from 5 to 6pm I saw 5 doe and 3 buck (2 small and one nice w/ no shot). That is the most deer that I have seen in one hunt all year.

Thick stuff in the valleys and creek bottoms is about the only place that I'm seeing deer right now.

Mitch
Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hang In there buddy!! You'll get It going yet.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much happening in the mountains of VA yet either. Hang in there guys....in the next week I feel it will start to get good. Of course, ML will be in also...so the pressure will begin to build. I still haven't seen a good one this year at all...nothing but dinks. Good luck guys...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

Hey buddy, so many guys burn themselves out early in the season and when it really counts to be in a stand, they are sick of hunting and quit going. Halloween until the 6th or 7th is the best IMO, trust me; get in a stand, don't leave, and you will see some lots of deer movement. Strictly hunt funnels and bottlenecks that force a buck to move through a narrow piece of land in order to get to the next piece of land as they cruise for chics. If you can't stand to do an all dayer, get in your stand at 9:30 am and hunt till 2:00. Take a break and head back at 4:00 till dark. More bucks seem to move at those odd hours of 10:00 am to 2:00 when most guys are in their easy chair cause they only hunt am's and pm's. Good luck. Don
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 AM

good advice Don, I will not quit, never have in all the 20 yrs of hunting, it just gets so dang frustrating at times, especially when the weather messes with everything... last year the weather was better and I saw and killed more deer, this year it is not, but that is no excuse b/c people around me are seeing them...I just think Im over thinking everything this year.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

its been a funky season up here in NOVA. I hunted friday morning in what seemed to be perfect conditions. I hunted a property where i have never seen less then 20 deer a set. I didnt see a dam thing. But that evening before the front came through, they were moving at 2pm (early). I figured they would move early sense they didnt move that morning. Hunted saturday in the rain, stayed in a thicket. thought they would be there, however when the rain stopped the fields filled up instantly i could see the deer piling in the fields form a few hundred yards off, the rushed the fields and didnt take there normal travel patterns. But its a game and you have to put the pieces together. This weekend looking at the weather should be money for ya, up here in nova halloween has always been the day that starts the chasing. I spent most of this season hunting wyoming so while its frustrating at least there isnt white outs and 10ft snow drifts, so im just happy with that.