Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finally Convinced! >

Finally Convinced!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally Convinced!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Finally Convinced!

Well im finally convinced. I have always been a big Buck Growl fan and bought one after they came out. The all the hype about the Buck Roar started. I was wondering what the differnce was. So I picked one up lastweek. I love the call. I love the option of the challenge weeze and the tunable reed feature. The roar sounds great. Cant wait till the bucks start chasing this week so I can give the roar a real test. The growl sounds great as well but you have to be carefull on how hard you blow into it or youll call in every duck and goose around. I blew real hard in the roar and it didnt squeak. Im convinced that the roar sounds better than the growl, but will it out perform?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally Convinced!

I don't have a roar or a growl but I picked up the True Talker last week because it seemed to be the overall call of choice on the forum.

I am sure glad I tried it at home before using it because it does make a perfect duck call when used incorrectly. Takes some practice but I've heard grunts in the woods that don't mimic any of my calls very well.

wis bow.. I was thinking of trying the Roar but was concerned it would scare away deer that might not be dominent but mightbe a shooter in my book. Do you think it has that potential??

On a side note I used a drag line last week with a blend of Estrus and Dominent and had a little 6 pt stop right on it.He sat theresucking up the scent like a bird dog and then just slunkback the way he came with his tail down. It was just too early and I think he was scared he might get his butt kicked!!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe its just more curiosity that brings the younger bucks in. Primos has a video on their website, shows various bucks making these sounds in the woods..I believe it also shows one younger buck wheezing at a big 10ptr, and the 10pt gets right up to him and finally the youngin backs down.

I've also seen a video of a guy filming a nice buck roaring and every buck that was in hearing range starts coming in from every direction to check it out! was amazing. I would say that this is probably going to be a more effective call in bigger deer herds.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

The growl worked great for me back in 2006, and 2007, now to see if the Roar gives the same results. The roar/growl is a very aggressive sound that deer make at the peak of the rut when theres good chasing and the does are coming into heat. Ive heard smaller bucks and more mature bucks make this sound several times over the years and guess it never occoured to me what it meant. But now I know. I dont think you have to be worried about chasing other deer out of the area, just have to make sure you use the call at the right time and right place. If you have a good buck to doe ratio you may do better with the roar or growl than others.