Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do YOU scout? >

How do YOU scout?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do YOU scout?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do YOU scout?

For my firstcouple years bowhunting I'd just scout, find my tree(s), cut shooting lanes, then huntthat spotall within the actual hunting season itself. Year after that I smartened up a bit and scouted during the summer months and cut my lanes prior to the start of the season. This year I think I will spend all the snowy off season months scouting hardcore then go back in summer to trim lanes.

What do you do and what could I add to my regimen to improve it?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do YOU scout?

A lot of people, myself included, do a lot of scouting while shed-hunting in the late winter/early spring. It gives a great opportunity to find little known bedding areas and travel corridors that may be missed during the summer. And, as travel patterns often change during the summer, scouting during this time reveals the trails that were used during hunting season itself. Of course, scouting during the summer can help you asses the number of deer around and some of their behavioral characteristics, there are so many factors in the summer that can alter what you'll see in the fall (slope facing directions, water sources, food sources, etc). Another benefit of scouting immediately after the season is that deer disturbances are minimal and the likelihood of bumping any deer out of the area are slim to none.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

All Season:

Topography or structure that funnels deer !

Early season:

I look at crop layout and then find the trails and corridors that deer will use to travel to each field. I'll find a field edge standlocation and work back from there. I never, ever hang field edge stands on the same side of the field that the deer are coming in from, no wind direction works for that set-up.

I will work back and locate staging areas, creek crossing, and very important- oak trees. Alot of deer trails follow oak trees from one location to another.

Pre-Rut:

I take a day or two and walk my woods with a friend(s). We look for fresh rubs that are on old rub lines(generally indictes a buck that has some age on him). Find fresh scrapes that are strategically placed. Young bucks scrape all over, mature bucks dont waste their time with pointless scrapes- they scrape where they know they will have/had doe action. We look for an area to hang stands that is danger close to bedding. We want the best chance of seeing this buck during shooting light in teh AM or POM, but also a location that allows us to slip in and out undetected.

Rut:

Sit in the woods near some doe. During our pre-rut scouting we isolate areas that we feel will be very productive during the rut. We also look deeper. We try to find the areas that a mature buck is likely to hold up a doe as he waits for her to come in. These locations will be near remote water sources and in-woods food(acorns). He will not allow her to travel far, thus, their daily travels will be short and to the point.

Post Rut:

I will still hunt areas that hold alot of doe, because some will be coming back into estrous in a few days/weeks. However, after I feel that the bulk of the breeding is over, the weather is cold and the bucks are emaciated- I go back to feeding patterns. But, winter feeding patterns are not like summer. I use tracts insnow cover and mud to pin point bucks travel routes.

I'm going to look for areas that a buck can travel and feed that offers him some sun-light. On really cold days, deer want to stay warm, too. I look for swampy, marshy, grassy areas within the timber that is exposed to alot of sun-light. Generally, I will then hunt that as a bedding area and look for the shortest walk to staging and a field corner that doesnt allow the wind to swirl- then sit it.

Any food located in the late season might as well be considered baiting- deer will flood into oaks at this time of year as they need the fat.
Take note, thats sound advice.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

A lot of people, myself included, do a lot of scouting while shed-hunting in the late winter/early spring. It gives a great opportunity to find little known bedding areas and travel corridors that may be missed during the summer. And, as travel patterns often change during the summer, scouting during this time reveals the trails that were used during hunting season itself. Of course, scouting during the summer can help you asses the number of deer around and some of their behavioral characteristics, there are so many factors in the summer that can alter what you'll see in the fall (slope facing directions, water sources, food sources, etc). Another benefit of scouting immediately after the season is that deer disturbances are minimal and the likelihood of bumping any deer out of the area are slim to none.
Can't any better than that right there! Wahoo you nailed it!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first year i did not scout much if any second i did some. Last year i scout once on the private land i hunted with the owner. He gave me a small area and told me where a good spot was. I setup there. What realy made me mad was when i told him i had saw alot of deer there. He started hunting 100 yards away from me when he had 40 acres of his own and 50 of his neighboor and i was on about 6 acres. This year i did alot though a few spots end up bad due to dogs and other factors i found out later after season started. This year i will scout some after season is over. Unless i am in florida for the rest of the winter.