Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm telling ya...... >

I'm telling ya......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm telling ya......

Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I'm telling ya......

I'm in the midsts of a 3 year curse or something. Some bizzare stuff has been happening to me that have resulted in not so good results on some big bucks.

Tonights episode of what can go wrong with NYBH... It's been raining here since 6:00am. I bagged the morning hunt and crawled back in bed. After watching doppler this afternoon I determined that I could sneak into a stand at 4:30pm. I'd have to endure an hour of pouring rain, but it looked like at around 5:30/5:45 or so it would let up and I'd have the last hour of good hunting.

Sure enough around 5:30 it slowed down to a sprinkle and by 5:45 it had stopped. I knew I wasn't going to hear squat coming towards me because the ground was so wet (over an inch today). So my eyeballs were scanning the woods pretty hard. About 6:00 or so I catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of a deer body. After it crossed some brush I saw it was a buck.. a nice buck! About a 120"9 pointer.

He cruises out to 22 yards and I draw back. He doesnt' know I exist and it's all but a done deal. Problem is, I can't see out of my peep.I'm anchored like I have been a zillion times in my life but I can't see. I move the string up and down trying to figure out where the heck my peep went. Come to find out it was there but I couldn't see out of it because a drop of water was stuck inside it perfectly blocking the hole.Now the buck is moving out of my lane and out to 30 yards. I dont' have very long before he's gone. So I move my face away from the string and blow on the peep to clear it. Anchor again and now I can see my peep and the buck glaring at me and head bobbing. Apparantely he didn't like the sound of raindrop peep clearing.

So the standoff ensues for what seemed like an hour. I may have had a shot but he turned back towards me and was hard quartering to me. I was waiting for him to turn back broadside or quarter away again where he was heading in the first place, but it never happened. He'd had enough of it and walked away at a fast trot.

I'm telling you i've been hunting for 21 years and the last 3 have been the strangest crap to ever happen to me. Someone know of any hunting curse breaking voodoo stuff I can try?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm telling ya......

Those are the types of things that you NEVER forget. They are part of thecharacter building process (just what you wanted to hear, right?)

At least you did something right, having him there and essentially done - you did good. Good luck, the best part is - you got now where to go but up!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is pretty crazy. OleMurphy never sleeps![:@]A couple of weeks ago I went to draw on a slam dunk doe (10 yrds)when a yellow jacket started buzzing my face. I meanright in my face.I kind of blew through my lips at him, but he kept coming back. I blew harder the next time,and she spooked. Talk about timing.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ole Murphy never sleeps!
I'm wondering after a very fruitful 4 year run if he found me. It's early and I have time, as do you NYBH, keep at it.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Site Buck Guru

I had that happen.......once! Now when it's raining, I tap my string once in a while to keep it cleared.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I do but I cant explain it on this site. Sorry man your on your own.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Hang in there! The only was to break the curse is bag a big one! As for the peep........now that may need a vodoo doctor!

DP
Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least you are getting that far along in the process. My slump that I am in directs the deer well out of sight of any of my stands.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

That scenario really sucks. Sat at my best spot yesterday. On the way in I changed out the card in my trail cam. Sat the whole afternoon and didn't see a thing. I have been hunting this spot for 12+ years and can count on one hand the amount of sits I've had not seeing anything. Got home, checked the card..56 pics. 50 pics of woods, 3 of deer, 1 fox, and 2

Old 10-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I am in a 4 yr slump of no bow buck, so right now youre still doin better than me, and it is not because I have blown chances