Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My weekend in a nutshell and my cousins first kill *Pics Now* >

My weekend in a nutshell and my cousins first kill *Pics Now*

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My weekend in a nutshell and my cousins first kill *Pics Now*

Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default My weekend in a nutshell and my cousins first kill *Pics Now*

Well I finally got out this past weekend. Got down to the farm at around 2 pm and got settled in and took a shower and got ready to head out to the food plot out back. Great evening to be hunting, light breeze and action! Saw 3 does and a BB. the does were too far for a bow, oh to only have Mr Encore in my hands. The BB got to withing 7 or 8 yds but let him pass. The following moring got even better. i got my cousing up into his tree and left to go back to my area. I get into my stand and pull my back up and sit it on my seat, I go to pull out my rattle bag and just as I do, I look up and boom, 4 does and a small basket 8pt. Yeah you guessed it, bow still on the ground. The lead nanny noticed that my stand wasnt there yesterday! So she tried to pick me out and couldnt. so after about 5 min of trying to stare my down, they start to move on. Sucks too because the lead nanny was big. I watch them for about another 15 min before I could finish getting everything in place as I didnt want to be seen and blow that area up. well I finally get everything in place after they leave, no sooner do I sit down, bow in hand take a little deep breath and 2 min later I hear the sound of footsteps. I look back and two more does!!! big healthy ones too, but before I could get up and turned to my right (thats where every one came from) the lead doe was 10 yds away and noticed me. She played the cat and mouse game with me and I wouldnt break, she stood broadside trying to stare me down, all this while the other doe got to within 4 yds of my stand and behind me feeding with no clue I was there. The lead doe still standing there, looks back and that tells me one thing, buck. I slowly turn to my left and look and at 40 yds out I see a tail move and a tree branch being thrashed, finally I see rack. After thrashing the brach, he starts to make his way towards me. I see he is a nice 8pt. The two does start to make their way down the hill as he moves in, and there is a third does I didnt even see there! The buck gets to within 10 yds almost behind me and in some thick stuff. I can see him better now and I know now that Im not going to take him, I have a buck of equal stature and we are practicing QDM on our property. My hope was to get him within range to take a pic with my phone. after about 10 min of just standing there, he finally makes his way down the hill quartering away from me at 15 yds and I just lost sight of him when I decide to turn and sit back down. Literally a min later, I hear a crash infront of me on the trail I came in on, then another little crash, so I grunt a couple of times in that direction, I look back to make sure the nice 8 isnt there (didnt want him to turn back at the grunts and spot me), I look back to where the crashing noise was and boom! a medium size 8 pt is standing on the trail just outside of the little food plot Im hunting. He makes his way towards me feeding on the food plot and gets to withing 8 yds of me and tried to spot me thru a cedar tree that was between us, but he couldnt make me out. He made his way across the front of me and down the hill. Finally, he's gone and now I can finally actually sit and look around and do some calling. lol doesnt produce anything, the only thing I saw after that was a spike coming up from the bottom and going behind me at 60 yds. My cousin saw 9 deer that morning only 100 yds away from me. We had good action!!! We decided to set up differently for the evening and I only saw a nanny at 50yds at last light and he didnt see anything. So Sunday morning my cousin got into the tree I hunted the day before and I moved to a different food plot and on an intersection of crossing routes. At first light I had a spike come in at 6 yds and feedsing on the food plot then a basket 8 comes in and moves down the food plot out of sight. I can feel that this is going to be good, the weather has been right all weekend, alot of activity. I get a text msg from my cousin saying he drew on a doe and she spotted him and bolted. just after that, I got my look at my last deer for the weekend, a small 6 or 8 in some brush 40 yds away, never really got to see him well. at 5 til 10 in the morning, I get a phone call, its my cousin and I know what has happened, he could barely talk. He just shot a nanny at 5yds from the same stand I was in the previous morning. I told him to sit tight and Im coming. I start to get down and I get the shakes as if I just shot! this is only his second deer taken and both have been with me. I've taken him under my wing and guided him thru the process. He's come a long way. I get to him and he's anxious to get on the trail, but at the steep angle and how close she was (he didnt get a pass through) I wanted to get our stuff back to the RTV and give her some time. We did and came back, it took us about 30 yds before we found blood and we could tell she was heading for the creek bottom. We followed it all the way down and into the creek. You know how the tracker is infront of the hunter on the tv shows and sees the animal first and the hunter doesnt see him/her? Thats how this happened, I saw her in the creek bottom and stopped, he had no clue why I did. I turned to him and just stuck out my hand for a congradulatory hand shake, and thats when his face filled with a giant smile. He knew then I found her. She started her way up the other hill side and couldnt go any more and tumbled back down into the creek bottom. funny thing is, he killed her out of my old stand using my old bow that I gave him!!! The old Browning still does the job. i will get pics up tomorrow as I forgot the camera today. [:@] Sorry. but wanted to share my weekend with you guys. i didnt get to hunt in the evening after all the dragging and major headache I had. but I will be back at it the first weekend in Nov.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My weekend in a nutshell and my cousins first kill *No Pics Yet*

Sounds like you guys had a great hunt.And with all of those buck sightings your future looks bright.
Good luck in November , Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My weekend in a nutshell and my cousins first kill *No Pics Yet*

I've got the picture up of my cousins nanny. sorry for the delay.