Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you? >

This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you?

For me, poor. 3 hunts, not a single deer seen during legal shooting hours. I enjoyed being out there but am still waiting for the wind to be right to hunt my two early season stands where I have a good chance to tag a brute....I am just hunting fringe and observation stands and not seeing much.

Saturday morning a very small coyote came by. i draw...whistle...23 yards...release. Thump, into the ground at right under his chest. I am astounded, I can hit apples all day at that range. he jumps back to 30 I draw again (am in a ground blind, cannot see me) release....thump, exact same place, 2" under his chest. bloody he##. I dont miss at 30 ever either. he is standing at 38. I draw, 40 yard pin low....and miss the exact same way. wtf. the coyote runs off to 100 yards and barks for 5 minutes.I was confident with my setup, driving tacks.

I go home, practice....my arrows are hitting 3" low at 20yards! Everything still tuned though...Now this doesn happen to me, I am very anal about tuning, siting in, bow maintanence, and where broadheads hit. the bow was still perfectly tuned, the sight locked down still..the only option is that my peep was moved on my string....a branch hooked it or something walking in. I never felt it and always watch for such.

So yea...a little humbling...good for me though, keeps my head out of the clouds.

On a positive note though, my 14 year old brother got his first deer with a bow, a huge doe saturday night(73 lbs of well trimed, boneless cuts!) He hit it at 17 yards, a wee bit far back(but not that far). entered at the 4th rib from the rear, exited at the 5th from the rear hit the back of both lungs and thumped the liver (havent figured that one out either) it bolded 200 yards then collapsed.

well this was longer than what I intended......how did you do?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you?

I didn't see a dang thing on saturday, hunted almost the entire day. as i was getting in the box blind saturday morning i heard something running toward me. i stood still and could hear it right outside the blind. it must have walked away because as it got light I didn't see anything.

i saw 2 last night. fawn walked by at about 40 and then i saw another deer running around through the woods. didn't get a good look at it.

i also saw a porcupine at 20 yards, broadside
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Admittedly....I hunt "relatively" near where people live. I have a stand that's within 200yds of a house......and I have stands that are as far as 400yds+ from anyone's home. While I took a doe on Friday morning......I've been saying for a LONG time....that I think the deer I hunt patternme a lot better thanI pattern them (and this goes for the people in the area Ilive).

I have been 3 Saturdays in a row without seeing a deer from stand.....and I've hunted mornings and evenings. I think they know we're not at work!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

This weekend was awesome!! I healped lead the youth from my church on their fall retreat, which is held at a remote camp. No hunting, but still a great time! This weekend I will finally be able to get back in my stand! I would like to take some vacation days to go hunt, but I'm saving them up for baby #2.

Good luck to everyone and keep sharing your stories. Since my hunting has been limited this year I have been living off of them!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

good, i tagged a doe 25 minutes into WV's opening day. Now I can concentrate on a buck. (landowner wanted me to harvest a doe first)
Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was fortunate this weekend and was a guest of Rick James, we had a great day Saturday. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2378948 NO Sunday hunting in PA.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great weekend. Saw my first "shooter" buck Friday Evening..Coulda "Built a city "on the doe I passed Sunday.

Saw another shooter Sunday night (although a rack deformity would have madeit score bad).

So Friday & Sunday evening hunttotals (couldn't hunt Saturday).. 4 bucks and 4 doe.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My weekend consisted of of sitting on the front strectch at Lowe's Motor Speedway and having to watch Jeff Gordon win!! [:@] We still had fun though!!

Back in the tree this week...finally got my bow back from being in the shop since last Monday...she's driving tacks again!!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was at a VFW conference Saturday and didn't get back until afternoon Sunday, so messed up my first weekend here in Western NY. I did get out Sunday PM, however. Saw one doe early, but she came straight in and straight back out. Never had a proper shot at her even though she got to about 15 yards. Since I was in a hurry when I went out, I set up inthe hay fieldbehind a large hay bale. Bad choice. I had a large doe come in later from the NE. I moved to the west side of the bale to set up for a shot. As she got closer, I moved to the edge of the bale when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. A friend of hers had come from the NNW and had busted me. She was standing there ears up and staring me down. I had not drawn my bow yet. When she looked away, I moved back behind the bale slowly. Ended up with three doe and two buck (young ones) within 30-40 yards but couldn't get up for a decent shot without being seen for sure. I sat (actually laid) at the corner of the bale and watched the show. (The buck were "play" fighting.) It got dark and I crawled out of the field and back to the house. Lots of hunting days left.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Saw (4) does, got dark could not get a shot.