Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My 21 day hunt in a nutshell..... >

My 21 day hunt in a nutshell.....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My 21 day hunt in a nutshell.....

Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default My 21 day hunt in a nutshell.....

I took three weeks to hunt my spot over the rut. I have some really nice deer on my place by they are late movers and overnight movers mostly (the bucks anyways). So my hunt starts off with me heading to my stand on a Saturday Nov 8th at about 2 pm. I get crawled up the tree in my stand and I hear some walking behind me in the creek. My bow was hanging below my stand from the string and this is what walked by...

http://s530.photobucket.com/al.....-08001.flv

This is my luck I figure. Can't get my bow pulled up because its caught in some branches in the tree of course. This buck walks off and I sit down dejected. Right at dark I hear another deer walking in the creek and he pops out right beside me about 15 yards. He is bigger then the earlier deer and I get my bow up and shoot. Miss low. Deer bounds off and stops and stares before taking off. I bumped my rest in my haste to pull my bow up through the branches. Figures. I sat everyday all day for the next week and saw several nice bucks but all were younger. My trail cams were picking up nice bucks but all were in the middle of the night.

So now we move to a week ago today which was Tuesday Nov 18. I'm setup on a the end of a nice travel route. I sit until about 10 am without seeing any deer. I figure I'll move. I work down the creek and pick up my climbing stand and make my way into the bedding area. I get crawled up into the tree and about 2 minutes later I hear walking behind me. I look back and its a doe with a nice buck in tow. I then realize its the buck from the video above. I get up and get ready to shoot. I stop the deer at 20 yards perfectly broadside. I let it fly and it hits him and its a pass through but the hit looked better then it sounded. I wait a few and crawl down to get my arrow. I was very dismayed to find that my arrow had gone all the way through the deer but had very little blood on it at all. I smelled it and it smelled like I had shot it through a deer steak. I waited an hour and started the track. I found good blood at first but then it dried up completely after about 200 yards. I was able to foot track the deer across a cut bean field and I managed to bump him with the same doe he was with when I shot him. This is the last time I saw him. I have cameras everywhere in that spot of woods and have yet to capture a pic of him. I don't know what to think.

My deer hunt was mostly disappointing. I saw some nice bucks and some rut action but with all the good bucks on my place I figured it would be crazy and it really wasn't. My buck to doe ratio is off really bad with their being about 3-4 does per buck on this place. That's the only reason I can figure as to why the bucks will not come when you rattle, or grunt or bleat can. Nothing will bring them in.

Sorry to get long winded but just another note. I bought a Primos buck decoy and set it out one morning to try and draw in a monster I had seen a few days earlier. That decoy punked out 11 bucks (including the monster) and 3 does that day. They didn't want anything to do with it. I don't know. Maybe my after rut hunting will be better.