Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 poor penetration >

poor penetration

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

poor penetration

Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default poor penetration

Not an x-rated post, I'm talking archery hunting here!
Thurs morning I recovered a doe that I shot Weds night, I was really worried about this one because after taking the 10yrd shot I watched her run thru the corn and into the bush with 1/2 my arrow visible on the entrance side! Luckily my steep angled shot was good and her running with a broadhead in the boiler room did the trick, but this wasn't the 1st time this has happened.
My archery career consists of 3 deer shot, 2 recovered, all 3 ran off with only 1/2 arrow penetration even though all were hit in the rib area (not heavy shoulder or other arrow stopper). Why don't I get pass thrus?

50-60lb bow dialed right up (58-60lb)
small sharp fixed 3 blade heads

I think the problem may be that I have a ridiculously short draw length for my size, I'm 5'11" average body type but for some crazy reason I only draw 26.5"

Maybe I should be asking this in technical forum, I'm actually considering increasing my draw length and giving up on form to increase power! There is nothing wrong with my bow but if I have to replace it I will, I'd just hate to drop all that money and continue to have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: poor penetration

i would stick with wat is more comfortable for u or else u might be sory JMO
Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 AM

Overdraw maybe? I have a friend who uses one to solve the same issue.Seems to have corrected his problem.

Dave
Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

SMDA, is Overdraw a product, I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: tschaef

SMDA, is Overdraw a product, I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Some bow hunters like to make the draw length a little over what theirs is. Just to get more fps/energy out of the bow.

You can go down to the bow shop and chrono your bow. A change in arrow will increase your FPS.
Also, "2 blade broadheads tend to get better penetration", so say the pros.

But for fact i do know this.
My bow shoots carbon express 250 arrows at 231 FPS.
The bow shop i deal with said i can increase my fps by change in arrow, so they showed me.
The guy handed me a bemin ICS arrow equivalent to the CE250's.
It shot this arrow at 250 fps.

Maybe thats all you need is a little bit of fps to see better results.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

How much do your arrows weigh? What kind of speed are you getting from your bow?

My bow is at 43lbs. I have just under 40 foot pounds of energy. I have a 26" draw (or 25.5" can't remember).
I use 125 grain, 3 blade muzzys with 1 3/16" cutting diameter. My total arrow weight is 368 grains.

My arrow passes completely through most every deer I shoot.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're arrows are not flying straight or they are way too light.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:00 AM

One of my buddies shoots a 50 lb. Fred Bear Element with a 27" draw length. I don't think he even gets 230 fps out of his Easton Excel 500 series arrows - but still seems to get good penetration. I'm wondering if you don't have some sort of a tuning issue where your arrow is going into the deer at a bit of angle? You might also consider going to the Axis FMJ arrow. These arrows seem to penetrate better than just about any arrow of the same weight.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 AM

HNI_Christine

I agree it is going to be an arrow issue, i think if he did what i said about chrono the bow at his local and ask some questions he will get pass through with any broadhead of choice. Too many have done it.
I think the evidence at mathews tv about 2 blade broadheads getting better penetration is because less friction surface and they tested this theory in foam targets.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

What we sometimes think is poor penetration ......due to only seeing a portion of our arrow in the animal as they flee is......actually the arrow having backed back out to that position after hitting something inside. Happened to me on my first deer ever.

If you'd asked me how much penetration I got on that deer....I'd have told you 1/2 my arrow. In reality.....I had an exit wound on the off-side....but the arrow struck the off-side leg bone and backed out to that point.

There's NOTHING inside a deer's chest cavity to warrant stopping an arrow. IMO.....it's hitting something on the other side (in most instances) and backing out to where we see it as they flee. I'm not saying it can't happen (penetration of only a few inches).....but I'm betting my explanation is the norm and not the exception.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

good point germ. I would check the arrow issues out before going with overdraw on your bow. Might go alittle heavy i plan to next season. My arrows are light not to light. But i think there to light for hunting. The place i bought them was all about 3d shooting not hunting. I plan to go with the higher weight arrows for my draw and weight. Wait till i start hitting you guys up for info on that issue come march.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What we sometimes think is poor penetration ......due to only seeing a portion of our arrow in the animal as they flee is......actually the arrow having backed back out to that position after hitting something inside. Happened to me on my first deer ever.

If you'd asked me how much penetration I got on that deer....I'd have told you 1/2 my arrow. In reality.....I had an exit wound on the off-side....but the arrow struck the off-side leg bone and backed out to that point.

There's NOTHING inside a deer's chest cavity to warrant stopping an arrow. IMO.....it's hitting something on the other side (in most instances) and backing out to where we see it as they flee. I'm not saying it can't happen (penetration of only a few inches).....but I'm betting my explanation is the norm and not the exception.

Quick Reply: poor penetration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.