Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control Tactics...lets hear em >

Scent Control Tactics...lets hear em

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control Tactics...lets hear em

Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent Control Tactics...lets hear em

The shaved armpit thread had me wondering what everyone does as part of their scent control program.

For me:
1) Shower in scent free soap and use a washcloth and towel that has been washed in baking soda.
2) ALL CLOTHES washed in baking soda (This includes boxers, socks, and all undergarments)
3) Scent-Lok---I believe it works but not the thread to discuss it
4) Don't get dressed until ready to walk inand then put all final layers on at the stand.
5) Spray EVERYTHING with some kind of scent killer. I have tried most kinds and haven't found any different from the other. All layers I wear I spray, don't spray my bow as I can't see that stuff sticking on my Mathews being good on it.
5) Play the wind---This is the first year I am going to follow this strictly. So far I don't have enough time on this to say if it has played a difference.

Nothing to weird for me other than the fact that I get a bit crazy about any kind of scent that may get on me or my clothing.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control Tactics...lets hear em

I prepare my clothes about 3 days before the opener. Scent-lok carbon clothes wash with the clothes. Then into the dryer, make sure you clean the lint trap before you start it, some type of odorless scent killer on the trap will work. Take them out and right into the hunter spec. odor free zipper bag. ( the green one). AS for me, wash with one of the fluffy scruby things( that you get at wally world) it makes the scent free shampoo and soap lather better. Dry off with a scent free towel that was washed seperately with my socks, under garments, and base layers in scent free soap. I put just my base layers on and my socks with my sandals and out the door I go, it gets kind of cold in nov in the morning. I get out of the truck and get dressed there.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Once I get ready to go to the stand I spray dead down wind on my boots and some fall blend on my exterior clothes and back pack.At the stand spray fall blend once I get all set up in the tree and every couple of hours after to freshen up. Keep the cover scent flowing it will save your behind out there.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Spike

Did nothing but wash my clothes and spray h.s.fresh earth spray.I also forgot deer dander.Killed one deer and had 3 coyotes in shooting distance.I DON'T WEAR SCENTLOK.