Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doing things differently this year. >

Doing things differently this year.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doing things differently this year.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doing things differently this year.

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I've posted anything on here. I took a hiatus for a while, but I've been lurking.

Season is in full swing here in PA and the action has been quite good in my neck of the woods. I've been doing a lot more hunting from the ground after work this year than I ever have. As I was sitting on a field edge the other evening, I began recalling all of the good experiences I had when I first started bowhunting. I used to hunt exclusively from the ground. I remembered all of the deer I had within arms length of me, all of the bucks that busted me because I couldn't stay still and how "simple" it used to be for me. I didn't worry so much about scent control, over hunting a spot or anything like that. I just simply hunted every minute I got a chance to.

For the past 10 years or so, I got "serious" about hunting. Scent control takes on an almost obsessive nature, I won't hunt a stand more than once a week with the exception of the rut...etc. I find myself tip toeing around where I hunt for fear that I will tip off the deer in the area. Don't get me wrong, I am still quite successful, mostly in big buck encounters, but I find myself missing something.

So, this year I made a vow. I'm going to hunt! I'm still going to use my usual scent control measures and hunt stands based on wind...mostly , but I'm going to enjoy hunting the way I used to.

I'm sure everyone is wondering where I'm headed with this. I'd just like to remind everyone to thoroughly enjoy hunting, the way it should be. Just get out there and hunt and not worry so much about scent control, gadgets and not hunting a spot because the wind isn't "just right".
Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Doing things differently this year.

thats what its all about, enjoying the hunt. Good luck this year.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM

sounds like a plan, hell I might start doing that again, although I used to not see as many or kill as many as i do now....but it sure made killing one a much bigger deal back then.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Spike

I'm going to hunt everychance Iget.I still try to keep my clothes relatively clean but I'm still going hunting.Also h.s.fresh earth spay and DEERDANDER.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

muzzyman..I hear you and agree 100%. HAVE fun, enjoy yourself to the fullest. I too got extremely "serious" a few years ago. Too much. Don't get me wrong, I have high expectations and aspirations when hunting, but I have higher expectations for the FUN department. Good post.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to see you're back! You're knowledge was missed